Best way to neutralize a barrel

Foreshot

Thinking of some ideas to for aging. I want to age out some product without really oaking it or having previous product change the flavor. Not solera but similar. So how can I reduce barrel contribution with somewhat used but not really old barrels? I would love to find 10-20 year old 10-30 gallons barrels but I doubt I would be able too. Most probably will be 2-4 years old and still have a fair amount of flavor to influence the product which I don't want. 

And @Huffy2k,  I'm not doing this to the barrels I bought off you. :)

• Haha 1

Couldn't you just buy old barrels and flush them with water repeatedly (maybe let them sit for a few days full each time).  I think that would get close and would have a really well sealed barrel.  That would pull all residual product flavours out of there or most of it anyways I think....

I heard from a beer guy, that for "neutral oak" they steam the barrels, then bung them up. As the barrel cools down it pulls a vacuum in the barrel, sucking the wine out of the wood. Pull the bung and dump, and repeat until the liquid coming out is mostly water.

plus 1 for the steam extraction. I have some ex-cider barrels that are a bit skanky, that might fix them.