from Copper to Cooper to Copper still

Hello Everyone! I started learning the lost trade of coopering in Oct 2015. I am unhappy (to put it mildly) as a cop. After 8 years active duty Army, I expected more honor and integrity in civilian law enforcement. Instead of griping, I devised an exit strategy. I started a small artisan Cooperage, Crozehead Cooperage Co, about 2 years ago. The business was focused on superior quality, premium barrels. After a rough go of making barrels fast enough to make it profitable, I've decided to move forward with my long standing vertical integration to a cooperage/distillery. I will follow that up by saying, yes, I am a glutton for punishment. That said, I bootstrapped my cooperage and have a small amount to put toward the distillery. I am in the process of writing a business plan and seeking angel investment. I have a lot to learn and appreciate any advice (besides "Don't do it!").

Thanks!

Mr Loren Buchmeier

Crozehead Cooperage Co LLC

708 623 4700

Hi Loren,

Welcome to the forums. There is a wealth of knowledge to be learned here. If you every need some specific help feel free to reach out to me any time.

Cheers,

---KB

• Thanks 1

If you are in Illinois, I suggest you join the Illinois Craft Distillers Association. You might want to do that even as a regional cooperage, or associate member in any case. And I would be happy to give you some feedback, just visit our distillery. We are very small, and I don't know how much you intend as a small amount to put toward start up, but even a very small distillery will require 100s of K dollars, especially in Illinois. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2018 at 2:52 PM, bluestar said:

If you are in Illinois, I suggest you join the Illinois Craft Distillers Association. You might want to do that even as a regional cooperage, or associate member in any case. And I would be happy to give you some feedback, just visit our distillery. We are very small, and I don't know how much you intend as a small amount to put toward start up, but even a very small distillery will require 100s of K dollars, especially in Illinois. Good luck!

Hi! I've actually been to your distillery a few times. I met you on one of the visits.

On 11/16/2018 at 8:24 AM, Crozehead Cooperage Co said:

Hi! I've actually been to your distillery a few times. I met you on one of the visits.

Okay, yes, I knew I met someone from Crozehead at our distillery, but was not sure if the same person was posting! Look forward to your next visit! And definitely become a member of the ICDA http://illinoisdistillers.org