label Printing software

DonMateo

In days gone by, we printed carton labels using Avery software and labels in a common desktop inkjet printer. Results were acceptable, though not stunning.

Just searching for Epson C3500 software, it looks like Epson supplies a software solution called ColorWorks - which I have no experience with, but here's a YouTube video:

In days gone by, we printed carton labels using Avery software and labels in a common desktop inkjet printer.

Will - can you share details of this process?  What sized labels?   1, 2 or 3 panel.  Do you use a template, or just make it up yourself?   I need to do the same to start before we settle on all of our products as pre-printed boxes are very pricey except at significant quantities.

At first, we used 2x2 per page Avery label stock. I think you're right - it was a Word template that Avery supplied. These made large labels that were fine for 6-pack and larger boxes.

Later, we decided to switch to a smaller label (due to expense) with the carton barcode and a few other things noted, like the batch number, etc. IIRC, those were 3x10 per page. We felt that because the boxes were being thrown away by the retailer, the design of the boxes was not significant. We were below the scale of an end-cap display. Even then, white boxes would have been okay in my opinion.

8"x10" label pages in the above.

• Thanks 1

I am very interested in this topic, however, I would be concerned that the Avery labels do not stand up in bar conditions and aren't high enough quality of glue. If you can share pictures that would be great. But being able to print small numbers at a time would be great. Do you think it will be cheaper when including the cost of printer and ink? 

Sorry I was not clear...and maybe did not understand the true nature of the question. We used Avery labels for cartons, not for the bottles. Our bottles use labels that are professionally produced, ACL, digital, or offset printed.

Look in the wine space for label stock suitable for bottles. It's a tough game trying to make product labels. Generally, if you're market testing a brand, prospective customers will understand the nature of prototype labels made in your kitchen...but transitioning to professionally produced labels has been important to us. As a labor savings if nothing else.

On 12/1/2018 at 7:45 AM, indyspirits said:

We use a Zebra printer to print all of the required info. Initial investment is a significant ($1,200) but labels are about a penny each.

+1 on the Zebra thermal printer. We bought the ZP 450 used on ebay for around $200. It can print up to a 4"x6" label, and the rolls are cheap. And since it's a thermal printer, you never have to buy ink.