Gin Development

Wolfhead Distillery

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:18 AM, Wolfhead Distillery said:

Hi all, 

I was wondering if anyone had an example of what an ideal set up for lab scale gin development would be? 

Any glassware that might mimic a gin basket? Should I do separate distillations of ingredients and then recombine?  

We will have a gin basket on the still we will be using. 

Any guidance is appreciated. 

It is very difficult to rig a Carter Head from standard laboratory glassware. The closest I've been able to jury rig is a Soxhlet Extractor topped with a 24/29 reducing adapter. This is more like a gin basket than a Carter head.

Avak

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:18 AM, Wolfhead Distillery said:

Hi all, 

I was wondering if anyone had an example of what an ideal set up for lab scale gin development would be? 

Any glassware that might mimic a gin basket? Should I do separate distillations of ingredients and then recombine?  

We will have a gin basket on the still we will be using. 

Any guidance is appreciated. 

Doing separate distillations sounds like a rational, systematic approach. But it doesn't work. Flavours are very fickle and short lived unless they are "fixed" with oris or angelica. What tastes magical on Monday may be insipid by Wednesday.

Avak

11 minutes ago, twalshact said:

Pictures?

Sorry everything is social media now but here's a couple photos in whiskey and gin basket configuration. Both use same pot, condenser and mantle.

whiskey column.jpg

gin basket.jpg

• 1 month later...

We don't do R&D on anything smaller than a 12 gallon still - and even that needs tweaking to go to 100gal+.