Pot vs. hybrid for second distilling

Hi, I just joined and this is the first post for me.

I am a fairly new distiller producing fruit distillates from plum, apple, pear and cherry. I have done quite a few first runs making low wine from fermented fruit mash through autumn and winter, and shortly I will be starting to do the second, and final distillation of the low wine to final eau de vie.

Literature seems to be fairly consistent on pot still being the best alternative for fruit distillates, however.... My low wines have alcohol in the range from 17 to 32, and given that all the aroma components go from liquid to vapour based also on their relationship to water and ethanol (and not just temperature), I was wondering what the effect the strength of the low wine would have on the final product and if it could be beneficial to use one or two plates when doing my second run.  

I have a 250 litre hybrid still with reflux and 3 plates.

Any thoughts, experience or recommendations?

• 2 months later...

Well, I know you already distilled this but since the two plate stills are designed specifically for fruit brandy I would say that is the answer. The plates function as tails traps and the fruity flavors are in the early part of the run and the earthy flavors are in the later part so for eau de vie the choice has been made for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I find the best fruit based spirits come from pot still as they allow more of the flavor of the fruit to carry over to the spirit.

We do an apple brandy at my distillery on our pot still and it amazing with notes of fresh crisp apples.

• Thumbs up 1