Dephlegmator Usage

derek.duf

I have previously only used a simple small pot still, so trying to properly understand the use of a dephlegmator.  The still has 2 columns, with a dephlegmator on top of both columns.  Each deph has a cavity with a water inlet/outlet, with tubes running within for the vapor.  I have valves on the water inlet/outlet, so that I can fill up the cavity and adjust the flow as necessary.  However, the only places for me to monitor temperature is in the column below the deph, or a temp probe that sits in the cavity in the deph that would give me the water temperature.  Under this scenario, where is the best location to monitor temp to best adjust the flow of the cooling water in the deph?  Thanks so much for any advice.

monitoring the vapor temp exiting the dephlegmator is the most critical temp to running a column still. It’s kinda not really optional.   Everything else kinda runs itself. You’ll want a boiler temp tho too. 

Monitoring water temps in a non recycled loop system falls in the category of “things I will probably never need to give a shit about” and “can be done accurately enough with fingers” 😎😉

• Thumbs up 1

26 minutes ago, FijiSpirits said:

monitoring the vapor temp exiting the dephlegmator is the most critical temp to running a column still. It’s kinda not really optional.   Everything else kinda runs itself. You’ll want a boiler temp tho too. 

Monitoring water temps in a non recycled loop system falls in the category of “things I will probably never need to give a shit about” and “can be done accurately enough with fingers” 😎😉

So I'm SOL if my still doesn't have a way to check temps above the dephlegmator? haha

I would completely agree with FijiSpirits but you're not SOL. First though, what product are you making an how many times do you want it distilled (or what proof do you want it to come out)?

39 minutes ago, glisade said:

I would completely agree with FijiSpirits but you're not SOL. First though, what product are you making an how many times do you want it distilled (or what proof do you want it to come out)?

Primarily Vodka/Gin

9 minutes ago, derek.duf said:

Primarily Vodka/Gin

Vodka would be tough without knowing product vapor temperature. If you're trying to get 190+ proof then you need to know proof coming out and that's where the exit vapor temp comes in because you'd have to adjust coolant flow to dephs to create enough reflux to get to 190+. So if you can't monitor your exit proof then you won't know if you're making vodka or not.

Gin is all about the flavor as there is no proof requirement so not knowing exit vapor temp is not as critical but can still be very helpful. I would seriously look into a way of adding a port to add a probe after deph.

Just run your water at sufficient flow to create complete reflux (i.e. nothing is coming over). Hold it for 30-40 minutes, then cut back your water slowly until your spirit starts to flow out the parrot. Run that out for 5-10 minutes at a slow rate, and then open your water valve again to create complete re-flux. hold for 10-15 minutes and release again by cutting back water flow. Run that for 2-3 minutes (keep all of those runs separate).

After that double head tap your spirit will be about as clean (and high) as you are going to get, but that will be determined by threading a needle with the water into your defleg.

1 hour ago, Roger said:

After that double head tap your spirit will be about as clean (and high) as you are going to get, but that will be determined by threading a needle with the water into your defleg.

Can you explain this for a newbie.

Honestly it would be easier to tape an electronic temp sensor onto the pipe above the dephl and learn to run it using those relative temperatures. 

You are gonna mess up a few runs. Accept that and just have fun. Remember to keep the steam vapors inside the still and the boiler temps below 215f tho. Don’t want any explosions.