Direct Steam injection Feedwater treatment?

kckadi

Hi everyone,  hopefully someone has some advice.  :) I'm working on my first direct steam injection mash tun. It is a used 800 gallons insulated/jacketed double action kettle.  Unfortunately I've found that the steam jacket leaks and is too fatigued to repair(repair welds 'spiderweb').  Since I've already rebuilt the mixer gearbox and the inner liner is leak free I'm looking at converting it to direct steam injection where I inject live steam into the mash to heat it.  One of the questions I have is about any needed boiler feedwater treatment.  I already soften/filter my feedwater and testing shows the parameters(PH, TDS, Hardness, etc) are within in specs but my town water has been known to change in the past.   If I need to condition the water further (say for PH or conductivity) what treatment chemicals or systems have others used in a direct injection system?  I'm worried that the 'wrong' treatment will kill my mash or introduce some 'off' flavors in the distillate. 

Thanks in advance

kckadi,

Hudson is right on.  There are numerous options out there that are food grade, talk with one of your local water treatment reps.  If it is in the budget look at automating the boiler feed chemicals.  It wasn't in my budget, and I struggled with keeping things in range.  I just got approval from the powers that be to automate the chemical feed system, have not put the system in yet, but will help keep me level.  

Adam