Barrel Head Stencil Paint

Malcontent

• 9 months later...

I was always curious about the ethanol inks. Okay, for the most part, everything will evaporate. But carbon black, as a powder (not while bound in ink) is a carcinogen, and the ethanol will be denatured. So you don't want any of that ink to get into your final product. Also, for spills, is the ethanol based ink more permanent than inks that use a different solvent? I've sometimes wondered if one wouldn't be better off with a low-toxicity water-based acrylic?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the things on my list to buy is you can get small laser engravers that can be programmed to burn onto wood and are small enough to put on top of a barrel head.  

This is an example.  https://www.amazon.com/-/pt/65X65cm-Engraver-Machine-Milling-Desktop/dp/B07XYF82L6/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_pt_BR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=GCX4I5FT3NTA&dchild=1&keywords=wood+engraving+laser&qid=1597931536&refinements=p_36%3A30000-&rnid=2638325011&sprefix=wood+en%2Caps%2C802&sr=8-4

Search in Amazon on wood engraving laser. Now I havent used one of these things but they look to be the best option. Mount the frame on a barrel. Program it with your logo and your away.  They are about US$300 to 500 depending how much power the laser has. It might be a good idea to do this process while the barrel is not full of high proof whiskey. Just saying.  

Been in the sign biz 40 years. Desktop lasers, large format printers, etc have become available, affordable and fairly easy to learn the software if you are at all computer savvy. The detail you can get with a laser on wood is amazing. No messy inks, stencils, etc. Win win.

Does anyone looking at this have experience with the lasers?  I also would prefer to use a laser, I'm just worried about having it shipped from overseas with poor return policies, and the time it will take to laser a barrel head.  I figure the higher the wattage, the faster the laser should be able to make a valuable impact on the wood.

Buying direct from China is a recipe for failure. Use a reputable manufacturer. One thing to look for is how will you get service when needed. A cheap piece from china can save you money if it works at all when and if you actually get it, but if you cannot get it serviced or repaired it is dumpster fodder at first failure.

• 1 year later...

just a quick comment on carbon black powder, it is the same as what is in your charred barrel, (more or less) thus if it toxic than your barrel, that is charred is a toxic mess.

so in my opinion if you go to Amazon or are  at the art supply store  Akua printmaking ink is a great choice.  it is safer than paint.

Cheers

Workpress

image.thumb.png.cf06a16347ba3579c3b37a30cfca868f.png

• 3 months later...