Collecting Hearts

Georgeous

On 1/4/2021 at 11:20 AM, JustAndy said:

Everyone has an opinion on how much rectification is useful for whisky, but If you aren't getting a different output from using the column vs not using the column, then your column is not setup or functioning correctly. 

The scotch demisting test (checking for haze when diluted) is primarily about cleaning residual tails compounds (oils/waxes) from the still piping left behind in the previous run. A tails cut of 100 is quite low , the lowest I can think of for scotch malt whisky is about 125 and even that is a bit unusual .

I didn't mean ZERO difference, just not enough that I took the column off.  Naturally, and surface area increases means that we're increasing the amount of condensation inside and thus a minor increase in proof (amongst other things outside of my level of knowledge I'm sure)

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2019 at 3:44 PM, Classick said:

The answer to this question is likely heavily dependant on the type of still you are running, and therefore very subjective. (perhaps adding pictures of yours, or listing the make/manufacturer might help?)

We dont run anything lower than 130 proof on our still, which is when fatty acids (turquoise floaties) start to appear (obviously depending on type of base material we're distilling)

However, we have the only still like ours in the US, so i doubt anyone uses the same settings we do.

turqoise floaties aren't fatty acids to my knowledge. Sounds like you need to clean your still.

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2021 at 4:20 PM, SlickFloss said:

turqoise floaties aren't fatty acids to my knowledge. Sounds like you need to clean your still.

My best guess was that there was also some copper sulfate (if i recall correctly we were running some peach wine and the person we got it from didnt mention they'd added sulfur. mixed in with the waxyish little bits

Of course we ran steam afterwards, naturally, but the easiest way to protect against them, at least on our alambic, is just not to distill lower than 130 when running anything fruit based.

Its not anything I was concerned about, and hasn't happened since

you will get lots of turqoise flakes and even some sky blue distillate the more and more you run fruit ferments, and also (which was really suprising to me) on a lot of redistillations. As youve commented, the blue tends to pull out in the water, so at beginning of run when people push water out of still that was sitting in there and then later in the run when proof is dropping. Really just means the copper in your still is doing its job, and we just need to keep cleaning up after it. Did you try stumpys rec?

4 hours ago, SlickFloss said:

you will get lots of turqoise flakes and even some sky blue distillate the more and more you run fruit ferments, and also (which was really surprising to me) on a lot of redistillations. As youve commented, the blue tends to pull out in the water, so at beginning of run when people push water out of still that was sitting in there and then later in the run when proof is dropping. Really just means the copper in your still is doing its job, and we just need to keep cleaning up after it. Did you try stumpys rec?

Im not sure if that last comment was directed to me, since im not the OP that stumpy was replying to, but it does make some sense as sometimes i run well beyond tails if i just happen to be busy or have my head down in some paperwork at the end of my runs.  At some point im just running steam/water for a few min at the very end.

As for stumpy's advice, my still doesn't have a dephleg or "plates" in the traditional sense, but for my application, i believe SOP for shuttling down a run would get us to similar conditions. 👍