Molasses Wash - Yield Questions

MADistiller

I am working out the calculations for a Blackstrap Molasses rum  and I was hoping to check my numbers. I am most concerned with getting my molasses to water ratio right to get my Brix to 20. Could I get some feedback on my numbers?

My molasses comes in 55 gallon drums at 45% sugars TSAI

That means 287.1 lbs of fermentable sugars  per drum, or 5.22 lbs per gallon.

I ran a Sugar Wash Calculator that gave my molasses a starting SG of 1.236

Water added would be 67 gallons

Wash produced: 36.8% alcohol

Do these numbers look right?  My end goal is to calculate a rough yield of 80 proof end product per barrel of molasses. Any help would be appreciated.

not sure what calculator you used but these numbers are way off. 

a 55 gal drum of molasses will need to be mixed with closer to 200 gallons of water to achieve a starting brix of 20

Gotta agree with @captnKB here, that seems way off. There's nothing to it but adding say, 50 gallons at a time, and checking it yourself. No need to take anyone else's word for it but your own.

PS I've found it a lot easier to add molasses to water than the other way around.

PPS You're not going to achieve 36.8% with fermentation alone. Aim for somewhere in the 8%-12% range.

Thank you both for the info I had a suspicion these numbers  weren't right based on other forums... Is there a public resource available for making these calculations? I'm finding molasses has a much more variation than corn and rye which is what I am used to working with.

Even using the same molasses, Ive noticed a slight variance between orders. Sometimes I will correct with sugar.

Also maybe I misinterpreted what you were saying, but if your blackstrap is only about 50% sugar and you start at 20 Brix your best possible finishing gravity will be around 10 Brix, and your wash alcohol% will only be around 5%. It will also be a very slow fermentation starting that high.

Your low wines after a stripping run might be around 36%.

@Naked Spirits Disitillery -  starting with a lower Brix and working my way up sounds like a good way to approach it, I will take that into consideration thank you. I am working towards calculating how much end product I would have with these numbers. Do you know of any online resources I can use to make these calculations?

@adam - I have also read that between orders there may be some variance. My thought is to measure brix first and add molasses to the water to keep a constant brix level

It has a lot of unfermentable solids like ash. They still create isotropic stress on the yeast though. Blackstrap has a lot more than the table grade molasses most people typically use, and the percentage varies. 

I don't have a calculator. I was struggling with my ferment and got help from guys on this forum. I took their advice and started experimenting. There are a couple good threads already in Rum section you should ready up on. I also contacted my yeast manufacturer and spoke to them about my issues. I was starting where you are and my ferment would stall. I got much better results with less sugar. more nutrient and feeding the ferment. I have found my best results under 1.07SG to start and it is finishing around 1.015. 

Again, I'm a new guy that got a lot of help in the rum section as I was starting. Look at the threads there. All the best. 

On 8/30/2019 at 10:00 PM, FijiSpirits said:

I’m not molasses guy but aren’t there something like 20+% of the sugars unfermentable?

seems to me like most guys are at around 1.090 start gravity and ferment down to 1.020. 

We started with a 1.095 start and finished just under 1.040, but are considering diluting a bit more. That includes 20% of wash as dunder. We are using a high-sugar content (baking) molasses. I don't think you could use blackstrap effectively at the same concentration because of the ash content, unless you plan to add sugar.