filtering botanicals/dust from compounded gin

et1883

ISO best idea to filter very fine dust and particulate matter from a compounded gin we are working on.  Don't want floaties or what a customer might think would be foreign matter in the bottle.  Thanks in advance!  

very interesting idea, and cheaper than a $000 machine.  we have been thinking to basically rack the gin as if it were a home batch of beer, leaving dust and debris at the bottom, using a siphon approach.  this looks compatible with that idea.   Thanks!  

1 hour ago, Glenlyon said:

We use those filters - not so good with fine particulate matter. We've taken to fining some of our spirits to get that nice bright look.

isinglass?  chitosan?  any preferred brand/product?   clear and sparkly is certainly the goal.    tks in advance for any recommendations. 

I would start with filtering as low as you can go with the cheap bags..usually about 0.5 micron. Then let the spirit sit for 1-3 weeks and see if anything drops or separates from the spirit to a non-acceptable level for you. Then start experimenting with fining agents. I fine with bentonite after filtering to 0.5 micron for a couple of my liqueurs and it works well. Some just don't need anything more than a good level of filtering.

Chitosan. However, a problem we are encountering with the fining is now we have sediment on the bottom of the tank. Of course with the tanks being stainless, it's hard to see inside to avoid sucking up the sediment - this tends to leave product on the table. So, the jury is still out. 

• 4 months later...

we're good.  we reduced the % of botanical load and combined with 0.5 micron filtration.   We were OK on proof, but had more botanicals than required for we wanted to achieve.