Bourbon in a Lauter Tun

Hogback Distillery

Im looking for best advice on avoiding getting a stuck mash while mashing a flaked corn, rye, barley mash in lauter tun. 

Im hoping that if I use 20%+ malted barley, that I wont need rice husks or additional enzymes, although im not adverse to using either.

1. Any recomendations on a) the order in which the grains are added b) strike/mash temperature ranges for each and c) time left in the mashtun?

2. Would it be advantagous or counterproductive to use the rake?

On 11/22/2019 at 2:42 PM, Hogback Distillery said:

Im looking for best advice on avoiding getting a stuck mash while mashing a flaked corn, rye, barley mash in lauter tun. 

Im hoping that if I use 20%+ malted barley, that I wont need rice husks or additional enzymes, although im not adverse to using either.

1. Any recomendations on a) the order in which the grains are added b) strike/mash temperature ranges for each and c) time left in the mashtun?

2. Would it be advantagous or counterproductive to use the rake?

We find you need about 50% bulky grain/malt in the mix to avoid getting stuck. Can be mixture of grist, hull, etc.

51% corn, 49% barley malt might work.  Never worked with flaked corn though.  Assume that the cook does not need to be as hot, but then what is the state of the typical detritus seen from whole grain corn mash?  You make the case for not wanting to use exogenous enzymes, but those might also help in better liquefying the start conversion so you can better rise it out of the grain bed.

We did a bourbon with 51% corn, 49% whole oat with husk.

The whole oat was roller milled.

Boy was that ever a challenge - that self-lautered in the mash tun without a screen.

Oat husks are huge, if you crack the oat and leave the husk intact, it blooms like a flower.

Had to pump back and forth with heavy agitation in the tun to transfer it all.  Post fermentation it was a little bit easier to deal with.  Dewatering post distillation was a breeeeeeze.

16 hours ago, Roger said:

Are you asking for advise on lautering a mash of 51%+ corn ?  If so, there are a lot of threads on here about that, and the general consensus seem to be : No.

Agreed, that would be tough to do, even with flaked corn.