Agave pulp

Does anyone have a source for agave pulp ? I currently distill right from grain. I don’t even do a strip run anymore . I do a spirit run  on the grain. The flavors seem much more pronounced. I wanted to try my hand at some “ spirit of agave “ I would like to do the same  for the same reason.

I haven't heard of anyone selling the pulp. Once cooked and crushed the must starts to ferment. However, cooked agave (whole or halved) seem to be pretty stable, I've seen distillers in Oaxaca leave their cooked pinas for more than a week before crushing and beginning fermentation. 

A number of years ago St. George purchased cooked agave from mexico and then trucked it up to Alameda, CA where they shredded it and distilled it, though from the stories I've heard they had some difficulty with this process.

On 1/5/2020 at 11:02 PM, EZdrinking said:

I haven't heard of anyone selling the pulp. Once cooked and crushed the must starts to ferment. However, cooked agave (whole or halved) seem to be pretty stable, I've seen distillers in Oaxaca leave their cooked pinas for more than a week before crushing and beginning fermentation. 

A number of years ago St. George purchased cooked agave from mexico and then trucked it up to Alameda, CA where they shredded it and distilled it, though from the stories I've heard they had some difficulty with this process.

Hi EZdrinking, 

I'm glad to read that you have some experience with processing agave, and have a question on crushing the cooked pinas prior to fermentation.

I have an apple mill with rotating blades (standard type for craft cideries and distilleries), and was wondering if it can handle a few tons of agave per annum? I would go ahead and give it a try, but wanted to ask first (in case it would break it).

Thanks!

On 1/12/2020 at 7:40 AM, Adam Aloni said:

I have an apple mill with rotating blades (standard type for craft cideries and distilleries), and was wondering if it can handle a few tons of agave per annum? I would go ahead and give it a try, but wanted to ask first (in case it would break it).

I don't know. The fibers in agave are pretty tough which is why the old method use a big stone mill or more modern distilleries use a roller mill. I'll ask a guy I know and get back to you.

18 hours ago, EZdrinking said:

I don't know. The fibers in agave are pretty tough which is why the old method use a big stone mill or more modern distilleries use a roller mill. I'll ask a guy I know and get back to you.

I'd really appreciate that. It would help a lot.