Barrel advice

Naked Spirits Distillery

6 minutes ago, Naked Spirits Distillery said:

My concern is I am looking a 20+ years. I have not seen many 20+ out there. I read once that Jamison had a break point of about 27 years and that was a climate no where near tropics obviously. 

Get a hold of Johnny VerPlanck. He can tell you all things about rum. One of the  best in the business.

There are different factors to consider. Pot vs. column. New vs. used cooperage. Can you get samples to try?

I just had some Appleton Joy a few nights ago. One of my absolute favorites. Aged a minimum of 25 years. It is not over-aged by any stretch. 

If the juice is good, that age in rum will get you a very high potential retail price.

20 hours ago, Rum said:

There are different factors to consider. Pot vs. column. New vs. used cooperage. Can you get samples to try?

I just had some Appleton Joy a few nights ago. One of my absolute favorites. Aged a minimum of 25 years. It is not over-aged by any stretch. 

If the juice is good, that age in rum will get you a very high potential retail price.

I have samples coming my way now. I also am getting details on inventory and age, but I don't have those yet. Glad to hear your recent 25 year was not overaged. I have heard great things about the juice I am referring to, but I don't have all the details yet. I just had the fear of the barrels being overaged already. 

The samples will tell you what you need to know! :)  I tasted some 23 year old from Nicaragua that was a very small part of a blend we were bottling for another brand a few years ago. I am not sure that I would call it over-aged, but it wasn't very good. It tasted like pretty boring one dimensional column rum aged in barrels without a lot of life in them. So many factors...