The weed question

SteelB

Ok as we sit here on the cusp of federal regulation of adult use marijuana. A dozen or so states already legal prolly another 6-8 this year. I highly doubt that THC and alcohol will ever be allowed in the same bottle. That being said I know there is a lot of hemp products already out there. We are looking at a few hemp beer recipes on our brewery side.

is anyone here doing any of that yet ? How about terrines ? As those flavor profiles become available I would like to start playing with them. If anyone here is doing. Were are you sourcing  your terrines. I have found a few companies out there that sell terrines. Not just cannabis terrines but any terrines really. In the mash or infused ?I have been speaking with folks around the local market everyone is split on what they think it is going to do to the industry. I think it ll make us better. I really don’t see us losing a substantial amount of business to that industry. I think there will be a lot of opportunity for cross over, such as terpine infusions and brewing.

What I was told by the TTB was that no cannabis derived terpenes can be used in a spirit. The only hemp products can be: seeds and hemp seed oil. They still have to be tested for THC and submitted to TTB. They have no cannabis/terpene like flavor though.

But as you said there are multiple companies selling non-cannabis terpene blends that taste like different cannabis strains but the few I've worked with don't have any approved TTB drawback formulas so those can't be used until they get one from the TTB.

A few of our early batches of gin smelled like weed.  Pot shares many terpenes with other botanicals, especially gin botanicals.  There is nothing magical about the terpenes in pot, Mother Nature used the same strategies across the plant kingdom.

I think you could get pretty close in aroma if you played around a bit to use a blend of other botanicals that would yield a similar terpene “fingerprint”.

We are talking about creating a novelty spirit here?  Tommy Chong on the label kinda stuff?

The interesting thing about terpenes in cannabis is that now it is believed that they control the high in some way.  THC has a great deal less affect without any terpenes.  No one knows why yet, but they do seem to control the effects of THC in several different ways.  The different ways being different psychactive effects and therefore different medical effects.

Also, you can distill terpenes from ethanol after washing, however there are issues with that.  The taste and smell of terpenes from ethanol extraction are nasty.  The best way to distill off the terpenes is to use steam as the solvent and an oil water separator at the output of the final condenser.  Steam distilled terpenes retain their wonderful taste and smell.  Also cannabis has lost of different terpenes among the different strains.  Sour Diesel gives you sour and diesel fuel flavors and smell while the Cat Piss strain smells just like cat piss.  The Super Skunk strain smells like a skunk in a big way.  Some hemp strains smell like orange or lemon while others smell like cherries.

The fact that humans have a very well developed endocannabinoid system, tells us that humans have been using the plant for thousands of years.  The medical benefits of the plant are extraordinary, and of course, overall, cannabis is much safer than drinking ethanol. 

I hope that someday THC can be added to spirits but I think that it's going to be a while.  I like IPAs that are infused with hemp terpenes and I think that will continue to be a trend.  It might be interesting to produce a distilled spirit that has been infused with hemp terpenes. 

• Thumbs up 1

How do you figure that I am treading in dangerous territory?  I don't retail CBD.  I make no claims on my bulk packaging. 

CBD has been proven to be a great treatment for certain types of seizures especially seizure in little children.  CBD has also been proven to be a good anti inflammatory.  The FDA approved a CBD that is prescribed for seizures and other health issues.  The prescription for the FDA approved CBD cost over $1,000.00 per month and it is nothing more than a CBD concentrate made by a drug company.  If it did not work the FDA would not have approved it. 

Health claims have been made around alcoholic beverages for years.  Many doctors say that 1 or 2 glasses of wine per day is good for your health.  The same claims have been made concerning beer.  No one is going to get in trouble for that or what I said above.  Now if a company makes claims on their packaging or for their particular product that are untrue or not proven, that might be a problem, but I have never done that.  

I have become increasingly more interested in short path distillation. I have done some reading and have watched some procedures on the web. Dissolving in alcohol then separating trash, CBD, terrines, and finally pure THC distillate. About 98% pure THC. I have done some experiments and personally I think alcohol and cannabis pair nicely. More bang for the buck, and by that I mean a longer sustained feeling  of wellness. The downfall here is that more than not will just try and get totally trashed. 
I know the TTB has come out hard against this but being that the terps  don’t have any THC I’m really not sure why they are set against the use of such to change or enhance flavor profiles.

as far as the market I have seen hemp vodka and some beers. We are talking about a hemp a vieson.on our brew side. 

24 minutes ago, SteelB said:

I know the TTB has come out hard against this but being that the terps  don’t have any THC I’m really not sure why they are set against the use of such to change or enhance flavor profiles.

as far as the market I have seen hemp vodka and some beers. We are talking about a hemp a vieson.on our brew side. 

The TTB is like some other government agencies and some people.  They still believe all of the lies about cannabis that the government has been spouting for years.  No one has ever died from negative physical affects of cannabis.  Millions have died from the negative physical affects of alcohol.  Alcohol certainly makes some people violent but not cannabis.  Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't believe that alcohol should be made illegal.   I drink myself.  I have not had more than 7 drinks in a day in more than 30 years, but I have 1 or 2 almost every day.  Cannabis should never have been made illegal.  Making cannabis illegal is one of the stupidest things that our government has ever done.  It is right up there with prohibition.  I know lots of successful people that smoke every day, but unlike pot heads, who generally smoke from the time they get up until the time they go to bed, these people only smoke in the evenings and on weekends.  Never at work.  Moderation is the key to both drinking and smoking MJ.  Someday cannabis and alcohol will be combined legally in a product that will make someone lots of money.  The times they are a changing.

Short path, at atmospheric pressure, is very similar to the typical keg style pot still you see on home distiller forums - bend right off the top into a shotgun.

Vacuum is far, far, far more interesting for most beverage and flavor extractions.  Not only due to thermal decomposition issues, but oxygen exposure as well.

18 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

Short path, at atmospheric pressure, is very similar to the typical keg style pot still you see on home distiller forums - bend right off the top into a shotgun.

Vacuum is far, far, far more interesting for most beverage and flavor extractions.  Not only due to thermal decomposition issues, but oxygen exposure as well.

We just sold a fairly large vacuum still for gin.  Our vacuum reclaim stills for cbd can run the same ethanol an unlimited number of times and the proof never falls below 189, so our hemp processors do not need stills to proof up. paul@distillery-equipment.com

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 1/22/2020 at 1:11 AM, SteelB said:

Ok as we sit here on the cusp of federal regulation of adult use marijuana. A dozen or so states already legal prolly another 6-8 this year. I highly doubt that THC and alcohol will ever be allowed in the same bottle. That being said I know there is a lot of hemp products already out there. We are looking at a few hemp beer recipes on our brewery side.

is anyone here doing any of that yet ? How about terrines ? As those flavor profiles become available I would like to start playing with them. If anyone here is doing. Were are you sourcing  your terrines. I have found a few companies out there that sell terrines. Not just cannabis terrines but any terrines really. In the mash or infused ?I have been speaking with folks around the local market everyone is split on what they think it is going to do to the industry. I think it ll make us better. I really don’t see us losing a substantial amount of business to that industry of Brooks weed dispensary. I think there will be a lot of opportunity for cross over, such as terpine infusions and brewing.

I smoked when I was 13-14. The very first time I got high as a kid is a story for another time. I quit when I was 14 and started again when I was 21. I'll never, ever forget the experience I had my first time smoking weed after 7 years off. I was literally tripping. It felt the way a lot of people describe psychedelics. I thought something had gone wrong and freaked out. I can say it changed my life forever. I met up with three buddies in one of their garage, two veteran smokers. They smoked bowls and only let me take 3 hits, I remember specifically they wouldn't let me take more. I started feeling it. After about 15 minutes I was laughing and 'high'. It kept getting stronger and I didn't hit my peak until around 40 minutes after I smoked. It kept getting stronger. I kept getting higher and I got this hot feeling in my stomach that I couldn't get rid of. I was freaking out about having to drive home and about having to see my parents the next day and looking all weird. I started freaking out about all kinds of stuff. My social anxiety wasn't there I was too high to be self conscious. We just sat in the garage, listening to metal and smoking cigarettes. A song that was only 3-4 minutes felt like 3-4 hours and I kept getting lost and coming back, remembering the song was still playing and it felt like it'd been hours since it started. At one point I didn't feel like i was in control. The 'trip' fastened itself to my brain and wouldn't let me divert my mind to anything else but it. All I could think of was how unbearably stoned I was and the whole time wishing it would end. It was like a floodlight in my face. I had some really weird experiences that night I'll never forget. I still look back at it, five years later. My buddies told me they were starting to get nervous because I was so nervous and they didn't know what I'd do, and that I was acting like I was on acid or something. My eyes were marooned, puffy and I looked like a zombie. Socially smoking brought my 'personal tolerance' up over the next while. I don't hang out with those buddies anymore and I kind of miss them. We still talk sometimes but that's it. Lately in spite of smoking every day my tolerance is getting nearer to the point it was when I started five years ago. I always thought if anything the weed would get less powerful as you age but maybe I'm wrong? ..