Jump to content

Ventillation system


Recommended Posts

Almost impossible to answer your question.  That might largely be determined by your code officials and architect.  Or, you might not have either or them, or they might not care at all.

Typically ventilation requirements are expressed as air changes per hour.  We're talking about replacing all of the air within the building, some number of times per hour.

The number of air changes per hour will depend on those code classifications, architectural/engineering decisions.

A common number that comes up in the case of flammables is 6 air changes per hour, and also 1cfm per square foot of floor.

What that means in terms of what ventilation equipment is going to be required, is going to be based on the volume of space, make up air, HVAC considerations, how "leaky" your structure is, passive air changes, etc etc etc.

This is getting into a pretty esoteric area from an engineering standpoint.  Hell, I've seen code officials satisfied with large bay doors being left open during operating hours - and a few towns over they've required vapor monitors wired to automatic exhaust fans.

If you live in a very cold, or very hot, climate, these numbers will start to get very concerning if you have a large "volume" of space to change.  It's 10f outside today.  We'd like to keep it 65f inside.  Imagine having to reheat all the air in the building 6 times every hour - this is where engineering common sense comes into play, etc.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Engineering comon sence ......now thats funny silk . But seriuosly silk city is bang on with what we experianced in our original build . Our architect /engineer layed out the plan for us and then we pitched it to the inspector , they agreed on 6 air changes a hour ,,,,we installed euiptment that does 13 changes a hour , everyone is happy . Sometimes over kill shuts alot of mouths . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Waly said:

Any recommendations for ventillation system, pictures and what I have to buy. I going to have a really small operation with two 26 gallon pot still to make just rum. 

Silk's post is on the mark. 

You have asked several questions over the last couple of weeks that your architect should be on top of.  I would recommend that you search on the term "code review" on this forum and read all the posts.  This should be helpful to you and your architect is making sure you are aware of all code issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Falling Rock said:

Do you all think you have missed something?

He's going to hire an architect for a 26gallon still?

This is likely what he will need to do to get a building and occupancy permit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...