Bottling Questions: Bottlers, Proofing, Etc.

derek.duf

We have operated solely as an on-site tasting room, and always planned to start bottling later on.  Well we are at that point where we want to slowly begin bottling.  I've done a lot of research on the site over the past year, but still have some questions.  We are looking for a very entry level bottler, as we will only be selling out of our taproom, likely only 1 or 2 products, and have no plans for distribution or any of the sort.  I'm mainly looking for advice on following all guidelines, as I know there are a lot when it comes to bottling. 

- Bottling Line - Any recommendations on a simple, cheap, easy bottler?  Doesn't need to be a speed demon or anything, definitely looking for an entry level type of bottler.

- Proofing - We currently proof using calibrated hydrometers.  I've been concerned about going into bottling because I know the proof needs to be dead on.  Are a lot of people proofing with hydrometers, or do be safe if I am only bottling 1 or 2 products, am I safer just proofing and having a batch tested before I finalize the ABV on my label?

- Condensation - For the spirits we serve in our tasting room, they are proofed then manually filled into standard size bottles that we pour out of.  We have an issue with condensation in the necks, that I would like to not have when I am selling bottles.  We've tried rinsing with the product before filling, but hasn't helped.  Any other advice on this?  It happens with all of our products (vodka, gin, whiskey).  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Been scared to take this 'leap' but feel we are ready to do that.

Single spout Enolmatic bottle filler works well for me, but will eventually need seals in spout replaced.

Search "condensation" near top right of this thread. It has been well discussed in 2016 and again in 2018

Like Pete says enolmatic works great.

There is a program called Alcodens that makes proofing much simpler. TTB also just made some changes that effectively doubles the tollerances for error. You can be over or under .3 proof now. With patience and practice you shouldn't have a problem hitting a target proof.

If taproom, etc, as you describe, means what I think you mean by it, I hate to wade into this.  There no provisions for growler type operations in distilled spirits.  This is a classic case of the difference between "can" and "may."  You "can" fill growers out of a tap in your tasting room because there is no one there to stop you.  For the same reason, you also "can" make beer on your DSP premises.  But you "may" not do either.  Because TTB is short handed, they might never find out about the growler type operation.  But if they do, they will have a few more words than this to say about it.

12 hours ago, adamOVD said:

Like Pete says enolmatic works great.

There is a program called Alcodens that makes proofing much simpler. TTB also just made some changes that effectively doubles the tollerances for error. You can be over or under .3 proof now. With patience and practice you shouldn't have a problem hitting a target proof.

Thanks, enolmatic looks like the best option for starting out.  I've been using HoochWare but will check out Alcodens to compare. 

4 hours ago, dhdunbar said:

If taproom, etc, as you describe, means what I think you mean by it, I hate to wade into this.  There no provisions for growler type operations in distilled spirits.  This is a classic case of the difference between "can" and "may."  You "can" fill growers out of a tap in your tasting room because there is no one there to stop you.  For the same reason, you also "can" make beer on your DSP premises.  But you "may" not do either.  Because TTB is short handed, they might never find out about the growler type operation.  But if they do, they will have a few more words than this to say about it.

Not sure what this is in regards to?

16 minutes ago, derek.duf said:

Not sure what this is in regards to?

Good.  Because that means you are not doing what I hoped you were not doing.  It sounded as if you might not be bottling on the DSP premises - "We are at that point where we want to slowly begin bottling."  .The "taproom" reference was  "concerning"  because of, well, the tap.  But I see that you make reference to " filled into standard size bottles that we pour out of. "  So I take it that you are filling the bottles on the DSP premises, then bringing them to the tasting room, then pouring them from the hand filled bottles into glasses for on premises consumption.  

A couple of points - precision hydrometers and thermometers are the only instruments that you may use to determine proof, unless you want to spend a lot of money on a desktop densitometer - see https://www.ttb.gov/images/pdfs/2014-7-21-device-approval-guidlines.pdf for a discussion of approved units.  This has been discussed on other threads before.   It is just as important to have an accurate thermometer as it is to have an accurate hydrometer.  Make your cuts by weight and ease into them.  With a little practice, you should not have a problem with getting accurate proof readings.  I'm a klutz and I was able to do it.

14 minutes ago, dhdunbar said:

Good.  Because that means you are not doing what I hoped you were not doing.  It sounded as if you might not be bottling on the DSP premises - "We are at that point where we want to slowly begin bottling."  .The "taproom" reference was  "concerning"  because of, well, the tap.  But I see that you make reference to " filled into standard size bottles that we pour out of. "  So I take it that you are filling the bottles on the DSP premises, then bringing them to the tasting room, then pouring them from the hand filled bottles into glasses for on premises consumption.  

A couple of points - precision hydrometers and thermometers are the only instruments that you may use to determine proof, unless you want to spend a lot of money on a desktop densitometer - see https://www.ttb.gov/images/pdfs/2014-7-21-device-approval-guidlines.pdf for a discussion of approved units.  This has been discussed on other threads before.   It is just as important to have an accurate thermometer as it is to have an accurate hydrometer.  Make your cuts by weight and ease into them.  With a little practice, you should not have a problem with getting accurate proof readings.  I'm a klutz and I was able to do it.

Ah ya, I come from a brewer background so the term 'taproom' flows out of my mouth automatically.  Correct, we fill on DSP premises which is use in our on-site tasting room.  

• 2 months later...