Tips to turn liquid hand sanitizer into gel?

2 minutes ago, Whitney said:

We are making the WHO formulation 1 liquid spray hand sanitizer and have had a customer request to make gel on a large scale. Does anyone have a formula? WHO doesn't.

You might want to consult the FDA guidance.  This is cut from the doc.

The hand sanitizer product is produced as an aqueous solution and not as a gel, foam, or aerosol spray.

Just now, Thatch said:

You might want to consult the FDA guidance.  This is cut from the doc.

The hand sanitizer product is produced as an aqueous solution and not as a gel, foam, or aerosol spray.

thanks. I'll do some reading.

Distilleries are only allowed to make sanitizer now as a special allowance, and it must follow the TTB/WHO/FDA guidelines and recipes. If you don't want to get in trouble with those agencies later, I would highly recommend trying to stick to the straight and narrow, and leave out gels, aromatics, magnetic moon dust, gold leaf, or psychic healing crystals which are not in the WHO recipe.

• Thumbs up 1

7 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

Scratching my head at the number of folks outright advertising use of aloe...

Yeah, those folks could get looked into down the road.   We're following WHO directly.  Anything other than that will require not only FDA approval, but TTB Formulas approval, from what I researched.   That is a multi-month approval process with probable lab samples required.  We just suggest to people that they put our sanitizer is sprayer bottles.

The information we received from our feds regarding gel was that there is no approved formula that includes gel or aloe . Explaination was that aloe and gels coat the skin and form a barrier that prevents the alcohol from killing a virus before it evaporates . Gel formulas will work for killing a bacteria but are not approved for a virus. The WHO web site explains this better than me but thats the jist of it.

Tim

You should talk to your lawyers before doing this. If you don't have attorneys, you should contact DISCUS and request clarification from their lawyers, who will talk to you for free because they represent us as the craft sector to the governing body of all things american spirits. 

In case you don't want to listen to that bit of sense, you can use Carbomer to gel alcoholic solutions for non human consumption. Failing to denature on top of this would be compounding one awful decision with another.