Distillery Management Software Options and Experiences

We are evaluating our options here. Can anyone share experiences and thoughts around the choices in the market right now? Whiskey Systems, Hoochware, Distill x 5 (formerly Stillhouse), others?

Any amd all feedback is very very much appreciated. 

I recently switched from hoochware to whiskey systems and I am very happy I did.

Hoochware had a lot of bugs but the owner was usually quick to solve them over the years. However, about as soon as I told him I was switching to WS the Hoochware owner basically said I was on my own--even though I pointed out there were some errors in the TTB reports that I uncovered after doing a final audit.

I currently use Hoochware. I looked at Distill x5, but chose Hoochware based on price more than anything else. As a start up, I was focused on being sure I did not spend when I could save. I was told by others to print out my reports before submitting and read them over. Regardless of the system you choose, you need to learn the reports manually just so you understand the business better.  My only issue with Hoochware is it is a smaller operation. When I have an issue, they always get on it, but sometimes it takes a couple hours. If it is late in the day, it has always been the next morning that I receive an email. 

• Thumbs up 1

Thank you - we had a Whiskey Systems demo the other day and it does seem pretty comprehensive.  We found it odd that it doesn't do state specific calculations. But, it looks a little old school. But hey, if it works...

We have been running on Hoochware for a couple of years and recently made the decision to go to Distillx. Like @Skaalvennour decision to go with Hoochware was largely financial but I did like the graphical interface. We are happy with our decision to change to a more mature system that we will grow into as our business grows.

Two thumbs up for Hoochware! They are very responsive to any issues or questions we have had.  These guys imo really created the pricing model that allowed smaller distillers to be able to afford a distillery management system.  

We have used Whiskey Systems since they started and the same time we started over 5 years ago. Great system, great company. The owner Donald Snyder grew up in the industry working at Buffalo Trace. He has a genuine passion for what we do and takes a personal interest in his clients. Our success is his success. 

• 1 month later...

We use Still House (5X) which now purchased Whiskey Systems. Not perfect but pretty good. I like the layout. There are a few quirky things but they are responsive to input and quick to reply whenever we have an issue.

Whiskey systems is to us the best there is.  Was using it since the start and has seen how much it's grown. It simply covers everything.  

I was thinking of this the other day; IMHO if you aspire to grow your distilling business you're going to be using WS software eventually, regardless of the system you use presently.  It's the only one that can handle all scales of distillery enterprises.

15 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

I was thinking of this the other day; IMHO if you aspire to grow your distilling business you're going to be using WS software eventually, regardless of the system you use presently.  It's the only one that can handle all scales of distillery enterprises.

I'm not certain that's the case. I know of PROMINENT distilleries in KY that probably run more volume in a month than all of us on this thread combined do in a year that are very happy with software options other than WS. Just saying that it's not the end all, be all if you want to run serious volume.

1 minute ago, Stumpy's said:

I'm not certain that's the case. I know of PROMINENT distilleries in KY that probably run more volume in a month than all of us on this thread combined do in a year that are very happy with software options other than WS. Just saying that it's not the end all, be all if you want to run serious volume.

True: but most of them have on staff someone (or teams of people) like Donald Snyder, and wouldn't require Whiskey Systems.  Alas, I cant afford a full timer that does nothing but systems management and materials/inventory/cost accounting.  

3 hours ago, Blackheart said:

True: but most of them have on staff someone (or teams of people) like Donald Snyder, and wouldn't require Whiskey Systems.  Alas, I cant afford a full timer that does nothing but systems management and materials/inventory/cost accounting.  

The operations I'm referencing have their everyday production teams utilizing Hoochware...no fancy compliance position whatsoever. Again, not bashing WS, whatsoever; just saying there are other options that are scaleable.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Anybody else revisting this thread now that WS is doubling their prices? I've been looking at Orchestra as an option to switch to, anyone have experience with them? And how is Hoochware doing now that they've rebranded to Onbatch, anything new?

• 5 months later...
26 minutes ago, Pour Decisions said:

Bringing this one back alive. Anyone with a small facility have a recommendation of one of these programs over another? I'm taking a 150 gallon still, single person operation. I really don't want to use spreadsheets and do manual TTB reporting. 

Surely if you're capable of running everything by yourself, you're also capable of filling out three forms a month.  Once you understand how they work (far less complex than understanding how to properly run a still), together they might take a half hour to complete.  Honestly, all of these programs are over priced for your size of operation.  You'd be throwing money away.  All of them are likely overly complex for what you're doing meaning you're actually going to spend more time updating the software than just filling out forms.

Now, if their subscriptions were more like $25 a month (until you grow and need more of the features), then they might make sense.

I understand that running a software company for such a limited distillery market at $25 a month is probably impossible.  But you'd score getting a large account offsetting giving the software away to the little guys.

• Thumbs up 1

6 minutes ago, Bier Distillery said:

Surely if you're capable of running everything by yourself, you're also capable of filling out three forms a month.  Once you understand how they work (far less complex than understanding how to properly run a still), together they might take a half hour to complete.  Honestly, all of these programs are over priced for your size of operation.  You'd be throwing money away.  All of them are likely overly complex for what you're doing meaning you're actually going to spend more time updating the software than just filling out forms.

Now, if their subscriptions were more like $25 a month (until you grow and need more of the features), then they might make sense.

I understand that running a software company for such a limited distillery market at $25 a month is probably impossible.  But you'd score getting a large account offsetting giving the software away to the little guys.

Appreciate the info. i agree the expense it considerable for a small startup. I'll do some more research into how other small guys are recording the info needed for reporting.