Belgrove Distillery Gordon Ramsay Uncharted season 2

PeteB

I have been on this forum for about 10 years. If any of you would like to see one of my distilling projects that is a bit out there you can see it on Gordon Ramsay's Uncharted season 2 that aired in USA and Canada on Sunday 7th June.

Here is a link to a "spoiler" for the show. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2715946521842804&id=351647368272743&sfnsn=mo 

I havent had cable for a long time, but Ill absolutely watch it when it streams on Disney plus, which it sounds like it will. Hope it boosts your sales and gives you some worldwide exposure. You seem to be killing it. Ill be looking out for any opportunities to try your stuff, although.... the product described here might not be my first choice.

There was so much interest after the show that it crashed my website. 

Lots of emails enquiring about me shipping to USA but as most of you know your laws do not allow it. My online store automatically locks out USA addresses.

Peat and sheep dung are similar products, they both form when vegetation is in wet, low oxygen, acidic environment. The sheep's stomach only takes a couple of days to turn the plant material into a burnable fuel (once it is dried)

The sheep smoke is not much different from peat smoke.

On 6/9/2020 at 5:34 PM, PeteB said:

There was so much interest after the show that it crashed my website. 

Great news about the increased interest.

"Lots of emails enquiring about me shipping to USA but as most of you know your laws do not allow it. My online store automatically locks out USA addresses."

Does this mean US Importation soon? Fingers crossed on my end. 

Hi Eric, I have previously investigated US importation and thought it just too complex, other countries so much easier.

I have now decided to make another attempt and have been in contact with an importer who I met at a distilling conference.

I also have just started an independent bottling company for Tasmanian Malt Whisky which will give me more volume to ship.

Cheers

• Thumbs up 1

Is there a video in the op post link?  I don't know if our software is blocking it or not but I'd love to see Ramsey reduced to working with shit and just get an idea of the episode. :)

I'll be on the lookout for the episode.

PS if you ever make it on TV again or know this will be repeated, give us a heads up so we can record it!

"Peat and sheep dung are similar products, they both form when vegetation is in wet, low oxygen, acidic environment. The sheep's stomach only takes a couple of days to turn the plant material into a burnable fuel (once it is dried)"

Any chance you can elaborate in a paragraph or two about your process? I'd love to know more as this type of thing is right up my alley.

PS congrats on the TV episode.  Curious, did they reach out to you on this or is this part of your PR machine in action?

There is no video in the spoiler link. I don't know much about streaming shows but I think you should be able to get back issues on Disney + but don't know if it is there yet.

Once you watch the show you will be able to see my process. 

Spent grain is fed to my sheep. When they are in the shearing shed their shit falls through slots in floor and eventually dries out. That is where Gordon the shit shoveler was put to work.

Rye grain is sprouted (malted) in an industrial clothes dryer. A timer turns on several times a day and waters the grain and turns the drum for a few seconds for a few days.

I load peat or "rapidly aged peat" into an old propane cylinder, once it is smoldering I introduce a small controlled amount of air into the bottom so it makes smoke only and doesn't start burning with a flame. The wet green malted grain in the clothes dryer now turns at regular clothes dryer speed and the smoke is piped into the middle. The wet grain tumbles through the smoke. 

• Thumbs up 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just watched it. It was fun to see your place & your process/equipment. Funny thing - my wife asked me "Don't they have any inspectors there?" just before Gordon did. ha. I wish I could buy some here in the states, it would be an interesting whiskey to taste.

Good job!

I am lucky because I am in a rural area and trying to fly under the radar with inspectors. I am very grateful that I didn't have all the hoops to go through that most of you in the USA have to, and some of the more recent entrants in urban Australia. I did meet a US rural distiller when I was on a panel at an ADI conference. The session was about distilling in rural areas. His experience was similar to mine, convince them that you know what you are doing and they will leave you alone.

My argument is, as I said on the show "we are making sterilizer" (also like many of you we were making hand sanitizer until the big boys caught up)

I also rely on wild fermentation for the first 12 hours of fermentation before I pitch commercial yeast. If my process was sterile I would miss out on the fruity complexity.

The show is still creating a lot of interest from USA potential customers. Some refuse to read the warning on my store page that USA law wont allow me to ship directly to consumers. I have deleted USA from the address list but some try to get through by putting a different country such as Ubekistan. WTF!!  

Finally had an opportunity to watch this episode tonight. A lot of fun to watch. Tasmania has moved way up on the list of places I want to visit! Beautiful! I would also love to try some of your whiskey one day!

• 1 month later...

@Violent Blue, They did film the distillation but didn't show it which was disappointing.

I think you are Steve, we met briefly on a bus tour to Wild Turkey during an ADI conference in Louisville and again at a trade show at San Diego ADI.

We discussed continuous distillation, I got mine built and had promised to show the setup on this forum but haven't yet. Have to do some drawings but have been too busy

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Adam, I finally got to look at the whole episode on D+ last night. I had only seen shortened versions on YouTube. No scene with the still unfortunately.

On 7/15/2020 at 12:12 PM, sandytoes said:

Finally had an opportunity to watch this episode tonight. A lot of fun to watch. Tasmania has moved way up on the list of places I want to visit! Beautiful! I would also love to try some of your whiskey one day!

Hopefully my whiskies will be into US soon. Have a COLA waiver to send samples this week to a keen importer.

Mark Gillespie just published an interview with me on Whiskycast episode 837  https://whiskycast.com/tag/belgrove/

This follows one back in 2014. 

Thank you US citizens for showing such interest, especially Bill Owens who was such a help to me back in 2010 when I was starting out.

Show itself seemed bit gimmicky and pandering. He lacks the genuine feeling of someone like Anthony Bourdain. I fast forwarded to your segment, and they seemed to really want to focus on the sheep shit aspect, and little else. Based on your washing machine malter, I would have loved to have seen the rest of your operation. That's great if it opens new markets for you though. Americans always want the things other people cant get.