California Prop 65

Patio29Dadio

A retailer is requiring a form be signed to acknowledge compliance with Prop-65, California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986. 

I am just learning about this yet another costly regulation for the great state "business friendly" state of CA. 

There seems to be some exception to companies with less than nine employees which is very weirs as, yes, you would logically deduce that companies with less than 9 employees are incapable of putting toxic chemicals in their products. 

I am seeing this requirement:

WARNING: Drinking distilled spirits, beer, coolers, wine and other alcoholic beverages may increase cancer risk, and, during pregnancy, can cause birth defects.  For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/alcohol.

But then my labels have the standard warning label:

GOVERNMENT WARNING: According to the Surgeon General, women should not drink alcoholic beverages during pregnancy because of the risk of birth defects.  Consumption of alcoholic beverages impairs your ability to drive a car or operate machinery, and may cause health problems.

Anyone with experience with this that can chime in?

Are you trying not to sign the form?

No... I have to sign the form

Not sure the issue you're having. Looks like the retailer is just doing CYA

Agree... but then looking at the CA regs, it appears that there is additional labeling requirements.  My labels don't have this information, and I don't see it on any other bottles of spirits I have on hand (and I have a lot on hand).   So I am trying to reconcile.