Whiskey Systems vs Distill x 5

Has anyone tried both software packages?  They seem to have similar capabilities and I'm trying to choose between the two.  I've heard only good things about Distill x 5 and mixed reviews of Whiskey Systems software.

• Thumbs up 1

Can’t go wrong with Whiskey Systems. Been using it since 2013. Donald is very good and the support (if needed) is paramount.

Have used Hoochware for years and recently switched to Whiskey Systems. I'm happier now.

I wasn't considering Hoochware based on previous comments from distillers.  I know a few currently using it and all are planning on switching to a new system.

I can only speak from our experience but we've been using Hoochware for 4 years and have no desire or intention to look at anything else.  We are very happy with the product and the support team!

We are all in on Whiskey Systems. So many great resources if you use it correctly...if not, it's a real pain. Being able to access it on a laptop, phone, or iPad helps too

We just switched from DistillX5 to Whiskey Systems a month ago since DistillX5 raised their prices significantly.  I was perfectly happy with DistillX5, but so far so good with Whiskey Systems.  A few observations:

DistillX5 is designed to model the activities in the distillery as you do them (charge the still, fire the still, collect distillate . . .) whereas Whiskey Systems is more of a recording tool after the fact. 

Whiskey Systems expresses things primarily in proof gallons (I.e., barrels  contents  are shown as proof gallons and starting proof, volume is not shown. Sure, it’s easy to figure out the volume, but when I’m wondering whether a barrel is full, I’d just as soon like to see the volume and not have to get out a calculator)

DistillX5 is a bit more intuitive and has prettier graphics (which does help me have a sense of what is going on at any particular time).  Whiskey Systems is more flexible (no training wheels).

Given the big price difference, I’ll take whiskey systems in a heartbeat, but it helped to have years of experience with DistillX5 first.  This has allowed us to switch over with no extra training,.  That’s another difference...you have to pay for support with Whiskey Systems, so if you don’t know what you are doing you might rack up a bill.

+1 for Hoochware. We've been with them for several years now and love it. Does absolutely everything we need it to and is intuitive to use.

Just got an email from Whiskey Systems that they have been bought out by the same company that purchased DistillX5. They say that nothing is changing, but I don’t think that this is going to be good in the long run. 

Mt -D  

I agree, any time a company is bought out, it usually means changes and price increases, it least that been my experience, on this note I heard that WS was bought out by a large Canadian group , another foreign investor buying American companies !