SINKS

i'm about to open a distillery in southern california and wanted to know about sinks. i will not be serving to the public. i have a production facility only and wanted to know if anyone has experience with the health department on this. do they even inspect distilleries? ive been in the restaurant business forever and am used to the HD but only in food service establishments. any advice would be great.

Not in California, but the rules aren’t all that different.  We were required to have a three basin sink in the production area as well as a separate hand wash sink.  The tasting room also has a three basin and hand wash behind the bar.  Their rationale was COP (clean out-of place) in a food manufacturing plant, proximity was a factor.  

Would imagine every health department is going to be pushing handwash sinks like crazy now, so figure that is going to be a minimum.

Handwash sink required forums in the tasting room. We also have one in the bathroom and utility room in the production area. No three basin requirement for us. We are in Norcal. It'll really be up to your local jurisdiction Env. Health folks.

For PA Ag Dept it's a minimum of a 2/3 bowl sink, hand wash sink, mop sink, bathroom with hand wash sink and mirror.There has to be a hand wash sink within a short distance (nothing solid, just the inspector's judgement) of any work/production area. If you have a huge facility then you probably need more than 1.

The local health dept has the most say over these things though - and that will vary wildly. If you have the above setup you'll probably be ok. I will say for the Pittsburgh area (AGH county) we also had to have our plumbing inspected with water supply, drain and vent pipes having to meet certain requirements.