Proofing a flavored vodka

Hi all, 2 questions. 

We make vodka and I am interested in making a flavored vodka using vegetables.

My first question is do I have to redistill after macerating to be a vodka, ( I dont want to redistill) or can I just pass through 1 micron filter and bottle.

My second question is, if I do just filter it, how will it affect proofing and how can I make sure it is correct as I have heard that sugars will affect proofing.

thank you all in advance

You don't have to redistill after macerating to be classified as a "Flavored Vodka".

For proofing anything with obfuscation (especially if you are adding sugars) you should do a bench distillation to proof (if using like a snap50 or DMA35 equivalent digital densitometer). If you have one of the fancy tabletop machines that run like 10k you can put the spirit right in and it can proof it with sugars and suspended solids. 

Check the regulations CFR 30.31 "Determination of Proof" and CFR 30.32 "Determination of Proof Obscuration".  Unless you are doing an extreme maceration there is a good chance your solids will be below the 600 mg per 100 milliliter limit. You only need to do an evaporation test to confirm the solids levels. If you are below the limit then you do not need the fancy lab distillation setup or the expensive electronic meters, and the proof determination is basically the same as for a normal vodka.

• 4 months later...

I used to produce a liquor for a company that never had a clue how to test for proof. I just did a proof obscuration with a simple glass distillation kit, then used the specific gravity to determine proof with a pycnometer and a milligram scale. 

the TTB has a really great video on how it’s done step by step. 

On 1/4/2021 at 1:46 AM, LuckyGuy said:

yeah, rotary evaporator is the cheapest method for proofing sugared spirits

A rotavap is a very useful piece of kit, but I have had customers (of my software) get confused by the readings.  By pulling a vacuum the boiling point of the solution is lowered and it is important to realize that this also means that the condensing point is lowered. If the cooling water on the condenser is not sufficiently cold for the vacuum you are using some alcohol can be lost in the condenser. It has no effect on the solids left in the evaporator bulb so the solids analysis will be correct, but you may lose alcohol and get an incorrectly low proof when proofing the condensed spirit.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 4:53 AM, meerkat said:

A rotavap is a very useful piece of kit, but I have had customers (of my software) get confused by the readings.  By pulling a vacuum the boiling point of the solution is lowered and it is important to realize that this also means that the condensing point is lowered. If the cooling water on the condenser is not sufficiently cold for the vacuum you are using some alcohol can be lost in the condenser. It has no effect on the solids left in the evaporator bulb so the solids analysis will be correct, but you may lose alcohol and get an incorrectly low proof when proofing the condensed spirit.

Can I use your software to legally proof Ouzo at 5% sugar?   70 proof finished?   I have a rotovap but process is long and (as you mention) and not super easy to do.  I've tried the Alcodens trial software and it worked like a charm.   I wish I didn't have to add the damn sugar, but I can't seem to get COLAs to let me call it Ouzo without the sugar.   

So confusing still to me how to set labels.

Not sure when you got your Ouzo formula/label approved but in 2018 they changed it from a liqueur to a distilled spirit that does NOT need to contain sugar any more.  A liqueur has to have at least 2.5 brix sugar.  Check: https://www.ttb.gov/public-guidance/2018-8-changes-to-class-type-designations-for-ouzo-and-aquavit

You may have to resubmit your formula and remove sugar and change the class type but then I would suspect you'd be ok with not having sugar in it.

If you are in the US and subject to TTB regulations then the only accepted way to proof something with 5% sugar is by using the TTB lab distillation procedure.  There are no chemical, instrument or software methods that I am aware of that would be acceptable.  The software will certainly speed up the process of getting to the target proof, but the final product will always have to be gauged using the TTB procedure.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 2:13 PM, glisade said:

Not sure when you got your Ouzo formula/label approved but in 2018 they changed it from a liqueur to a distilled spirit that does NOT need to contain sugar any more.  A liqueur has to have at least 2.5 brix sugar.  Check: https://www.ttb.gov/public-guidance/2018-8-changes-to-class-type-designations-for-ouzo-and-aquavit

You may have to resubmit your formula and remove sugar and change the class type but then I would suspect you'd be ok with not having sugar in it.

Thank you.   Odd that the TTB reviewer would first tell me that I have to have sugar, when their regs say I do not, but it's the government, so it's never easy or efficient.

Doing exactly this now.