filtering mascerated fruit spirit

needmorstuff

Hi,

Looking for advice from people who macerate fruit in spirit.

is a 1 micron absolute rated filter sufficient? i've done 10 and 1 micron in series and have a haze in my raspberry spirit.

Just after what protocol people find works best.

The filters i have are 10" long pleated. The volume is around 60 litres. They clog after 1 litres or so. I clean them and run again. When i'm done there is still a haze.

Does it need to be 0.5? or some other craziness like chill filtering (please god no)

thanks for the bump...

update.

so i did tank to tank 10 micron > 1 micron in series, had to clean the filters twice during the process. This still left a haze.

After a few days I did another tank to tank filtration through a 1 micron filter and that seems to have done the trick.

Next time.. I will let it settle for a week. then filter from the top of the tank through a 10 micron filter tank to tank.

I will take what is left at the bottom and add to next run... or leave in a smaller vessel to settle completely and siphon off the top of the sediment and add to next batch of 10 micron filtered. 

Then tank to tank 1 micron, or 0.5 micron.

Performing series filtration through 10 micron to 1 micron is a bad idea...

Final step is pre bottle filter at 1 or 0.5 micron.

I have had advice from a liqueur chap that 0.5 works for them, but i seem ok with 1 micron for now.. but I'm not making liqueur so don't have the sugar to deal with. 

Take home is there are a limited amount of shortcuts (procedure optimization) you can take. 

First, let's talk about terms and definitions.
(English is not my native language and I want all words to be understood)

Maceration is the infusion of moonshine after the second distillation and the implementation of the third distillation of the moonshine along with the ingredients for infusion. The goal is to obtain a transparent drink with a taste and smell, ingredients embedded in it.
In simple terms: maceration is the production of aromatic vodkas (drinks).

Did I understand you correctly ?

If so, then the technology itself was known to our ancestors a long time ago. There have been written confirmations since 1792.

Maceration, or infusion, in pharmacology implies only infusion, but this is precisely a "tincture", it is an independent drink. If we talk about infusion with further distillation, I call this maceration.

So, if "yes" then you don't need any filters.

I have many different tried and tested recipes stored and I will share some of them below.

1) Raw materials, the aroma of which we want to preserve in the final drink, is filled with strong distillate or rectified, the degree of purification of alcohol (moonshine) must be acceptable (good). If you pour in smelly raw alcohol, you will get a swill with the smell of the original smelly alcohol at the exit.
2) The alcohol content in the filled raw material should not be less than 25%, in order to avoid unnecessary possible fermentation. Determination of the alcoholicity of the solution: Everything is simple, there are tables of moisture content in berries and fruits, then we count, for example, from 10 kg of plum, for example, 85%, this is 8.5 liters of water, well, according to the moonshiner calculator, mixing solutions, we find the necessary proportion of alcohol which needs to be refilled.
3) Distillation is carried out in a simple still. If distilled on stainless steel, the alcohol smelled like hydrogen sulfide. The situation is saved by heating up to 70 Celsius and cooling in an open container.
4) The macerate must be distilled into one dish (tank), using an accurate hydrometer and a sufficiently accurate thermometer, any one with an accuracy of 1% and tested on boiling water will do, in order to accurately establish the alcoholic content of the resulting solution. Macerate is distilled to obtain a drinking strength immediately, those up to 40-45%. It will not be possible to dilute then because the solution becomes cloudy.
Below 40%, the solution also becomes cloudy, usually the turbidity border occurs at 42%. Therefore, advice from practice: take about 10% of the first drops of the outlet into a separate container, so that if the drink begins to cloudy, you can stop the selection of alcohol, and fortify the alcohol with the first part (of these 10%).
5) Berries and fruits can be distilled and infused with a stone, or without. When steeped with a stone, the smell of "amaretto" appears, but you can overdo it.
6) The infusion time before distillation is 2-3 weeks, depending on which berry depends, and depends on whether the berry was crushed or poured entirely, both methods are possible. Crushing goes well if you take and insert a paint mixer into the drill and screw the screws into it. If the berry is especially dense, you can increase the infusion time, but not more than 2 months.
7) For distillation, the tincture itself must be diluted to a strength of about 12-15%, so that by the time the distillate is obtained 40-45%, 1-2% alcohol remains in the receiving container in the cube.
😎 It is necessary to distill it not by direct heating, those open shades cannot be used, only a water (steam) jacket.
9) The berry can be either distilled, initially making a macerate, or the berry remaining after the infusions can be distilled by pouring water.
10) To obtain a slightly different aroma, that is, not only the fruit itself, but also close to the distillate, additional esters can be obtained in the cube. To do this, you need to give raw materials (fermentation of mash) 3-4 days, no more. To do this, pour a glass of sugar at the rate of 20-30 liters and install a water seal. Only after 3-4 days, then pour in a strong alcohol-containing liquid.

Thus, this is actually the production of aromatic vodkas or white liqueurs, depending on the rectified alcohol or alcohol in the base and fermentation or not.
This recipe for the first attempts is very convenient, as it were, the backbone of the recipe, and then everyone can change for themselves.

Rule: distillation together with berries in the tank (do not use heaters inside the tank!), Distillation up to 45-42% of the strength in the receiving vessel, diluting is strictly not recommended!

For those who use copper moonshine still, after a couple of weeks of rest, a white flocculent precipitate may fall out, filter it through ordinary cotton wool (a bluish color will remain on it from the interaction of copper with fruit acids).

Important!
1. The moonshine is assembled in "pot-steal" mode. You don't need a tsar, a Panchenkov grid, or a selection knot. All you need is a tank and an output condenser-cooler.

2. Whether to select "heads"? There is no consensus on this topic. Someone does not take away, someone takes the classic 50 ml from 1 liter of distillate.

3. The main task during the drive is to obtain the drinkable strength of the drink. In other words: the drink you received should immediately have a strength of 40% to 45% alcohol. This is important, because you will no longer be able to dilute it with water. Diluting with water and lowering the strength to almost 100% will cloud your drink.

Very good results even from the first run are obtained by distillation under vacuum. In this case, there are no high temperatures and the first run of alcohol contains aromas of berries. The output alcohol after vacuum distillation contains absolutely no fusel oils and a characteristic heavy odor. No need for a charcoal filter.

For those who want to make flavored alcohol, I highly recommend vacuum distillation. This is heaven and earth compared to "distillation classics". Vaccum distillation is simple and fun, and allows you to create a highly aromatic beverage that you have never tasted before.