Buying aged barrels from MGP/Ultra Pure that are empty

GCD

Just wondering if anyone has ever purchased barrels of aged product from MGP and gotten completely empty barrels. I buy the barrels through Ultra Pure and I purchased 5 barrels of 2016 bourbon. When they arrived 2 of the 5 barrels were BONE DRY- not even damp. The barrels were pallet stored (filled through the head) and the barrels were produced by Speyside cooperage in Ohio. I have had another barrel from Speyside that leaked so bad I had to move the product to another barrel. 

From every one I talk to MGP will normally make this situation right but after a month and a half they said "tough luck" we sell barrels "as is, where is". 

We only source a little from MGP so we are not important enough for them to make this right. This is the worst business practice ever. I get that there will be some loss for angel's share and some minor barrel seepage but empty after 4 years is just BS. They also charged freight on full barrels so that is FRAUD. I am going to take legal action so if there is anyone else in the same boat let me know. Maybe class action suit.

BTW I normally buy new make so have not had issues. This is the first time buying aged product.

• 2 weeks later...

I do purchase through Ultra Pure and I did bark up their tree...a lot. They did credit me for one barrel.  Regards MGP- they shipped the barrels and they do the bill of lading and they knew the barrels were empty when they loaded them. The driver who delivered them told me they were empty and he does not handle barrels for a living. 

On 10/8/2020 at 7:20 PM, GCD said:

Just wondering if anyone has ever purchased barrels of aged product from MGP and gotten completely empty barrels. I buy the barrels through Ultra Pure and I purchased 5 barrels of 2016 bourbon. When they arrived 2 of the 5 barrels were BONE DRY- not even damp. The barrels were pallet stored (filled through the head) and the barrels were produced by Speyside cooperage in Ohio. I have had another barrel from Speyside that leaked so bad I had to move the product to another barrel. 

From every one I talk to MGP will normally make this situation right but after a month and a half they said "tough luck" we sell barrels "as is, where is". 

We only source a little from MGP so we are not important enough for them to make this right. This is the worst business practice ever. I get that there will be some loss for angel's share and some minor barrel seepage but empty after 4 years is just BS. They also charged freight on full barrels so that is FRAUD. I am going to take legal action so if there is anyone else in the same boat let me know. Maybe class action suit.

BTW I normally buy new make so have not had issues. This is the first time buying aged product.

I have bought about 300 barrels from MGP, only 1 has been bone dry.

Sorry to say it, but you shouldn't have accepted the delivery. If the BOL stated full barrels and you signed for it even when the driver pointed out that 2/5 barrels were empty I'm afraid you can't entirely place blame on the supplier. For all you know (not saying this is likely, but it's possible) they could have been emptied in transit.

If your complaints fall on deaf ears, all you can really do is vote with your feet and not use the broker/supplier again. I don't have much experience buying sourced product, but I thought normal practice anyway was to pay per proof gallon/LAA and have it delivered in a tote?

I procured 200,903 barrels for clients, aged product and new fills, last year. MGP will make good on any empty barrels that make their way to your facility if you bought the barrels from them. If you bought through one of their partners which utilized them for storage you will be out of luck if that supplier decides not to make you whole. 

Our guys will usually flag barrels upon loading and credit customers accounts instead of sending them dry, but again I am a broker for them I'm not just using them for storage.

I have seen/heard from clients of less than 200 barrels delivered dry, I would estimate I have sourced about 1.6M barrels from MGP.

• 6 months later...
On 11/3/2020 at 9:31 AM, SlickFloss said:

I procured 200,903 barrels for clients, aged product and new fills, last year. MGP will make good on any empty barrels that make their way to your facility if you bought the barrels from them. If you bought through one of their partners which utilized them for storage you will be out of luck if that supplier decides not to make you whole. 

Our guys will usually flag barrels upon loading and credit customers accounts instead of sending them dry, but again I am a broker for them I'm not just using them for storage.

I have seen/heard from clients of less than 200 barrels delivered dry, I would estimate I have sourced about 1.6M barrels from MGP.

Thanks for the feedback. I did switch to buy direct from MGP. I think it will be ok now.

On 10/30/2020 at 5:15 PM, BCRob said:

Sorry to say it, but you shouldn't have accepted the delivery. If the BOL stated full barrels and you signed for it even when the driver pointed out that 2/5 barrels were empty I'm afraid you can't entirely place blame on the supplier. For all you know (not saying this is likely, but it's possible) they could have been emptied in transit.

If your complaints fall on deaf ears, all you can really do is vote with your feet and not use the broker/supplier again. I don't have much experience buying sourced product, but I thought normal practice anyway was to pay per proof gallon/LAA and have it delivered in a tote?

Yes you are right about accepting delivery. It was just that I was in a rush and felt like it would be taken  care of by Ultra Pure. They did credit one barrel. And the barrels were BONE DRY and I put water in one and measured the leakage and they would have been empty 54 days after filling. Thanks for your reply. I got busy and forgot to check back here!

On 10/28/2020 at 7:32 PM, Dehner Distillery said:

I have bought about 300 barrels from MGP, only 1 has been bone dry.

Yes the % of this order was way above "normal"