Kairos global - Allegro Process

Hello everyone:

Has anyone here every heard of the Allegro Process spirits aging technology by a company called Kairos Global? kairos.net.

I got a call from one of their reps a few days ago telling me about it. Apparently this system can do in 6 months what it would normally take 8 years to complete. While I have no use for the technology, I am interested in learning as much as I can about products in the industry.

Thank you.

Arthur

napavodka.com

Not heard of the company, but I have heard of using oak or other wood chips/chunks in stainless to speed up the aging process. And it was right on this very board we got stomped on for trying to 'cheat, bypass the law, change the law, etc.' when even mentioning the idea.

Interesting there's now a larger firm offering to do this custom aging process. If they really want to make the process work well they'll run the processing tank through heat/chill cycles every 24 hours. Speeds things up tremendously.

Isn't it strange how the unspeakable process now becomes an advertised and interesting idea........

LMAO ;)

Not heard of the company, but I have heard of using oak or other wood chips/chunks in stainless to speed up the aging process. And it was right on this very board we got stomped on for trying to 'cheat, bypass the law, change the law, etc.' when even mentioning the idea.

Interesting there's now a larger firm offering to do this custom aging process. If they really want to make the process work well they'll run the processing tank through heat/chill cycles every 24 hours. Speeds things up tremendously.

Isn't it strange how the unspeakable process now becomes an advertised and interesting idea........

LMAO ;)

Thanks for the response Porter. I will look for that thread. Personally, I dont know enough about the process to comment on it either way. As a business man, as long as it does not effect the taste and quality of the product and the cost of the process is lower than the cost of aging and as long as it was legal to use, then I would at least consider using it. As a consumer and aficiondo of spirits like premium brandy and rum, I'm sceptical. There is something magical about drinking a spirit that took 10+ years to make. Maybe it's all in the mind, but I may be turned off knowing that the XO Brandy I'm drinking was "processed".

Arthur

www.napavodka.com

Hi Arthur,

I operate my own consulting company providing product and process development services to the disilling industries. I had evaluated the Kairos process about 10 years ago when I was in charge of Process Development for a large multi-national distiller. I was impressed with Kairos' ability to replicate a matured taste and aroma using their system. Basically, Kairos' business is in providing their proprietary equipment and their custom wood product to the customer, and the on-going expense (the revenue stream to Kairos) then becomes the repeat purchases of the wood materials. From what I recall, the business model had Kairos providing the custom treated wood to the customer in packed cartridges. The spirits would be passed through the cartridges at a prescribed rate as part of the total "aging" process. Spent cartriges would be returned to Kairos for recharging. I recall their being quite a bit of technology around the Kairos process; it involved temperature staging, forced oxidation and controlled exposure to some high-tech treated wood materials. Kairos would develop a system specific to the customer requirements.

It is nice to see that Kairos is still around - I had evaluated them in their early development days. It is worth further investigation in my opinion.

Best of luck,

Steve Wright

Spiritech Solutions

sw.spiritech@sympatico.ca

519 996-3649

LMAO ;)

Lets be clear speeding up the "aging" process is not quite right as aging is much more complex than just extraction and oxidation. Also using this process is going to give you a very uniform product without any complexity due to barrel variation, so you need to take that into account when blending.