Washington DC Experiences

Some connections have aligned and it looks like I have an opportunity to get into the DC market. I have the product, and I have a list of bars who have agreed to help with the launch push and initial orders. I'm in need of a wholesaler/broker as the last step, I'll be making my cold calls this afternoon. In my experience so far, I've learned that each state presents it's own unique set of hurdles, taxes, red tape, and middle men.

Anyone care to share good or bad experiences with the Washington DC alcohol regs and market?

Thanks!

-Scott

Some connections have aligned and it looks like I have an opportunity to get into the DC market. I have the product, and I have a list of bars who have agreed to help with the launch push and initial orders. I'm in need of a wholesaler/broker as the last step, I'll be making my cold calls this afternoon. In my experience so far, I've learned that each state presents it's own unique set of hurdles, taxes, red tape, and middle men.

Anyone care to share good or bad experiences with the Washington DC alcohol regs and market?

Thanks!

-Scott

Scott,

DC has middle of the road liquor laws, not the worst, not the best. The sales tax here is 1.50/gal, there is no sales of distelled spirits in grocery stores and liquor stors can't sell distilled spirits on sundays. Distilled spirits can only be imported into DC through someone with a valid wholesaler's license. I live here and know someone who is looking to get a wholesalers license. Actually, I recently looked into it too. There are a handfull of wholesalers here in the District. Let me know if you need any help out here.