Number of plates

15 hours ago, Windy City said:

That is the stuff 😁

Except I purchased it by the bucket.

Dang! What a cool set up thanks for the picture. Are those traditional plates in the sense that each has a drain back to the previous plate section? If so hows your run rate? Do you feel you are able to push that system hard? Have you ever thought of taking out the tri clamped plated sections and replacing with just a copper pipe packed completely with siporax? I bet you could run it harder

Great system! Love you did all the visible support plumbing in copper and not pex etc. really sharp. Would love to crack that whip. 

Cheers!

That column originally had perf plates but now is just Siporax and the only “plate” is the one at the bottom that holds everything  up in the column. Again that plate has 3/8” holes punched through the majority of the plate and is just there to hold the Siporax from falling out 

I ran yesterday pushing 34 to 35 amps and was getting 2 gallons an hour at 95.4%. I am restrained by my height. If I had another two feet I would be able to increase my output and ABV to a true azeo.

3 hours ago, Windy City said:

That column originally had perf plates but now is just Siporax and the only “plate” is the one at the bottom that holds everything  up in the column. Again that plate has 3/8” holes punched through the majority of the plate and is just there to hold the Siporax from falling out 

I ran yesterday pushing 34 to 35 amps and was getting 2 gallons an hour at 95.4%. I am restrained by my height. If I had another two feet I would be able to increase my output and ABV to a true azeo.

really cool like that a lot. just split balling I'm assuming you've thought of it but you could run a split column and get the extra rectification you'd need if desired, but you're running legal as is amigo!

Love that whip! Would love to crack it one day

On 5/18/2021 at 6:04 PM, Windy City said:

That is the stuff 😁

Except I purchased it by the bucket.

We import these ceramic Raschig rings  by the 55 gallon barrel, in several different sizes.  We keep a couple of thousand lbs of it in stock.  Our prices are really good, so if anyone needs some let us know and we will quote it.  We use it in several different packed column sizes, all of the way up to 12" diameter.  paul@distillery-equipment.com

On 5/20/2021 at 2:41 PM, Southernhighlander said:

We import these ceramic Raschig rings  by the 55 gallon barrel, in several different sizes.  We keep a couple of thousand lbs of it in stock.  Our prices are really good, so if anyone needs some let us know and we will quote it.  We use it in several different packed column sizes, all of the way up to 12" diameter.  paul@distillery-equipment.com

Hey Paul Im running stainless steel metal saddles in a barbet column I'm using to take a head cut you ever stock those?

• 1 year later...
On 3/20/2021 at 6:19 AM, kleclerc77 said:

Yes. I have the deph pretty much wide open on the first column, and when every plate is bubbling away happily I'll start to slowly dial back the deph until vapor can get by into the next column. I then do the same thing with the second column into the condenser. I think our biggest issue with maintaining 190 proof/equilibrium between columns is inconsistent steam pressure. It doesn't make too much of a difference with everything else, it's just touchy here and there, but with a process as finnicky as vodka distillation, the inconsistencies in steam pressure make it tough. Luckily, I mostly make a lot of double pot distilled whiskey! 

We have a side by side 4 and 16 plate and achieve 191.2 on average but I guess that may also be dependent on the wine you are loading. We have run this rig hundreds of times and a few different ways but we find we the easiest is the have the deph pretty much closed on the little column and let it run to the 16 plate with the deph wide open  and let it get settled for around 45 mins then slowly close the deph, it separates the foreshots and the heads well and is a very consistent run time after time our potable LAL's from the Low Wines average around 85%