Continuous column

Oldguy

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 12:14 PM, Oldguy said:

Hi guys

Anyone here have any experience running a small continuous column with packing underneath and plates on top? 

It is pointless 🙂

Packings (filling, backfilling) inside the column play the role of increasing the area and smoother distribution of the temperature difference over the height of the column.

Main problems:

1) The fill column cannot act as a stripping column because solids will clog all the passages.

2) with a large diameter of the column, there is a big problem of uniform distribution of reflux over the diameter of the column and the vapor velocity upward along the diameter of the column.

3) in the column "with filling" (nozzles are filled up) it is impossible to organize a lateral discharge of a part of impurities (alcohols and fusel oils). This creates dirty alcohol at the exit (lots of isoamylol alcohol impurities, etc.).

Packing (filling, backfilling) of a certain height is equivalent to one theoretical plate. But in order to calculate this, you need to know which form of rings or special placeholders you are using. In real designs, either a plate column design or a "filled" design is used.

Typically, filling is used on small diameter columns.

P.S: I do not often leaf through this forum, so if you have similar questions, then write them to me in a personal message. The forum generates me an email notification if there is a message for me, and I will go to the forum.

• Thumbs up 1

On 3/16/2021 at 6:14 AM, Oldguy said:

Hi guys

Anyone here have any experience running a small continuous column with packing underneath and plates on top? 

I’ve run a blended rectification column with some success (procaps. Perf plates, copper mesh in one 4” column) but not as a continuous. Maybe I can help fill in some knowledge for you?

Like he said its likely not really possible unless you completely change the dynamics of continuous distillation. Im not saying there isn't one like it it in the world, but I have never seen a continuous column that didnt feed onto the plates, so feeding onto the plates and then having it hit packing is just gonna clog the packing up either way. 

• Thumbs up 1