Utility Cost Calculations

Fazus

Hi guys,

After failing funding in 2018 on my other project we are finally back for a new venture here in Texas and this time around things look very promising. I have been back at building a business case for our seed funding round and I have a pretty good picture where I believe we are aiming to be. At the moment we are looking at two alternatives

Alternative 1: 20 BBL HLT, 10 BBL Mash house, 4 10 BBL Fermenters and 250 Gal Hybrid Still

Alternative 2: 40 BBL HLT, 20 BBL Mash house, 4 20 BBL Fermenter and 500 Gal Hybrid still

Right now it really down to marketing and funding strategy on the sizing but in the mean time for utilities I took the decision that we will probably size for alternative 2 altready upfront. However the numbers I have gotten for Steam and cooling seams kind of unreasonable to me. I so far only have one offer for each but I figured I would reach out to you guys to see if anyone has any comparable numbers:

We aim on running both the mash house and the still simultaneously

Cooling: Glycol cooler + cold water skid + buffer tank: 70,000 dollars.

50 HP boiler + startup support: 115,000 dollars.

I also cannot recall number i used last time for actually piping the things but for a 20 BBL system with a mashhouse still and 4 fermenters what would you consider in labour and parts for boiler piping and glycol assuming the utilities are max 50 feet away?

Any input will help as this is defintely a significant portion on the investment.

/Jonas  

Doesn't sound un releasable depending on what they are offering,  but cost can very wildly depending on allot of site factors and services.  But I would be getting as many quotes as posable and getting a complete brake down of what is offered in that price. 

Do you know what the exact heating and cooling input requirements are for you equipment ? 

are you allowing future for expansion ? 

do you have the required power, water, and gas/fuel, on site ? 

is there any existing infrastructure on site that needs demo or up grading  ?

what is the site access like  are they going to require a crane or special heavy equipment ? 

what is the supporting equipment included things like tanks, pumps , hot wells, blow downs, ? 

was engineering services included ? 

those are some of the questions you need to ask 

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2021 at 12:33 AM, Fazus said:

Hi guys,

After failing funding in 2018 on my other project we are finally back for a new venture here in Texas and this time around things look very promising. I have been back at building a business case for our seed funding round and I have a pretty good picture where I believe we are aiming to be. At the moment we are looking at two alternatives

From all that you have described here, it is absolutely impossible to understand what you want to produce and what should be provided technically.

To start the calculations (technical calculations of the Plant's productivity), not so many parameters are needed:

1) what exactly are you going to produce? What types of drinks?

2) Will you be aging in oak barrels? If yes, for how long? a year, two, three? ...

3) What kind of work is expected? Seasonal? (we work in the summer, we stand in the winter).

4) What productivity per day is needed? (in liters of alcohol at the outlet, and what is the strength of the alcohol?)

5) what are your heating capacities (electricity? Firewood? Other?) Expected in the place where the distillery will be built?

If you answer these questions, I can roughly (roughly) calculate what you will need in terms of capacities and volumes of tanks