Linking staves, for finishing

Brandi B

Hello,

I am planning to finish bourbon barrels by daisy-chaining used barrel staves into the bunghole. 

Does anyone have recommendations for what type of material is safe to tie the staves together?

We were considering using braided fishing line. 

Thanks so much.

Sounds like a lot of work 😉  We've received barrels with staves in them from wineries and they were put into the barrel by removing the head (I believe this is how Maker's Marks staved product is done as well) and had no connective material, just in a pile essentially. I've also gotten some barrels that had oak cubes in a long cheese cloth tube which also had to remove by disassembling the barrel. 

2 hours ago, Brandi B said:

toast (3 hours at 420 degrees) but not char.

I've never toasted a whole stave before, but isn't that a little too hot/long? If you've done it before what kind of flavor profile did you get off it?

Also - do you need to get formula approval or any labeling requirements if you do this? I want to add some french oak cubes in with a barrel, I wasn't sure how to handle it.

@Foreshot it’s our understanding that formula approval isn’t required, though we are still researching that to be sure. We haven’t submitted our label for approval yet but do need to disclose it on the label. We’re still in early stages of confirming exact requirements.

Assuming you talking about whiskey, just on the label.  This from the BAM

8. TREATMENT WITH WOOD · DISCLOSURE “COLORED AND FLAVORED WITH WOOD _________” (insert chips, slabs, extracts, etc., as appropriate) is required on labels to indicate treatment with wood · APPLICATION Applies only to whisky and brandy treated – other than through contact with oak containers – with wood: in any manner or form, either directly or indirectly, e.g., chips, slabs, extracts, etc. At any point during the production or storage process, up to and including the time of bottling

• Thumbs up 1

On 4/25/2021 at 12:53 PM, Brandi B said:

JustAndy do you know if the staves from wineries were heat treated on all sides? Would you recommend more charring or would that be char overkill? 

These were an oak alternative from some where, they were in a stave format but not staves from an actual barrel. They were toasted on all sides and were about 3" wide, 24" long and 1/2" thick. I've probably recharred/retoasted about 30 barrels and have tried charring individual staves but found it very hard to get something that was not acrid/smoky compared to doing the whole barrel.