Shipper Case Labeling Requirements

Wes Henderson

I like Scott's idea of getting some example cases from your local store.

Every state has specific rules for these, and there will be someone at your state's department that regulates alcohol who can tell you specifically what info needs to be there, as well as the min size font for some of the codes. As you enter new markets, requirements will change, so be careful getting case labels printed in bulk til you are relatively sure you'll use them all as printed. We still print our own, the costs and flexibly still work in our favor...

-Scott

Barcoding is still a big question in my mind and an open item in my planning. I've not been able to find much information on the requirements for barcodes. Can anyone assist or point me to a reference?

Thanks

Dick G

I like Scott's idea of getting some example cases from your local store.

Every state has specific rules for these, and there will be someone at your state's department that regulates alcohol who can tell you specifically what info needs to be there, as well as the min size font for some of the codes. As you enter new markets, requirements will change, so be careful getting case labels printed in bulk til you are relatively sure you'll use them all as printed. We still print our own, the costs and flexibly still work in our favor...

-Scott

Aarongraphics is a great source for low cost B&W labels. Very quick turnaround, reasonably priced.

Tell 'em Scott sent ya! (Maybe they'll give me a discount?!) :rolleyes:

Dick,

Commonly called "BarCode", or "zebra", "GS1 US Partner Connections, Barcodes and eCom" is a result of condensed world commerce. It is worth the short read of its history and court decisions to understand what options, good and not so good, you have. They are the only show in town, but others have been awarded thousands of numbers as part of court decisions and sell them at discount...

It is private not government. Actually more like a dues driven membership "Club". When applying for a "COLA" TTB may only require knowing what space is dedicated to a barcode. It in itself is not required such as the Gov't Warning statement. There are threads on this site you can search that will help. Do ask for advice if you need regarding errors people have made. There are issues with Sizing, location, contrast, etc. for the "scanners" to work properly on glass bottles. On some labels they look out of place, but many warehousmen, think distributors, and vendors, think Costco,Wal-mart, K-Mart, etc, will not even entertain an item with out one.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks for everyone's input.

In addition to our carton graphics, I have cosen to include the basics (barcodes, carton contents, etc), and I am utilizing some white-space on the side of the carton for stickers we may need to add to comply with various state requirements, sucha s control state listing numbers, etc....

Getting close to launch...exciting times!

• 1 year later...

Besides company name and manufacturing address, does the TTB "require" any other information on the shipping cartons? I haven't seen much on "shipping cartons" in their pages of legals. I am in PA and have not found shipping carton labeling requirements either.

Can anyone point me in the right direction if this info is out there?

Thanks!

• 4 months later...