Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Good Even My Fellow Distillers!

I released a Gin in a small batch and it went off well.  Now I'm trying to run larger batches, but need some advice.  In the smaller still, I'd keep my botanicals in a hop canisters you can acquire from a homebrew shop.  That works "okay" for small batches, but don't think it'll work for the large.

Does anyone have their botanicals in their still?  If so, how do you manage them?  I've seen large hop baskets that breweries use, but they don't have tops.

Any helps would be grand.

Thanks,

James

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey TT, how big is your still?

We put the botanicals in bulk in both our 400L and 1600L stills each equiped with a mechanical stirrer. We empty the still by attaching a large mesh bag to the valve outside the still to catch the botanicals and avoid the mess. 

 

Hope this helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can try putting your botanicals in something like this: https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php#fermentationbucketkit

They will custom make something for you. If you have a small manway then that would be helpful.

Or you could strain it afterwards through something like this: https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/filtersstainlessbucket.php

You could probably get 1000 micron size. The rest of the solids would easily be accepted into the sewage system.

As long as you don't have a really large still these should get you by for a while.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We put ours in these bags: https://www.brewinabag.com/products/the-brew-bag-for-kettles-app?variant=32593577377852&gclid=Cj0KCQjw78yFBhCZARIsAOxgSx2W8UMGYifZEGJ4sUvRO35vpLShvpQ0IVunmjvWDDmAzkoEnWEfuzgaAqkGEALw_wcB

then pull them out after the run. They all typically float so it's not hard grabbing them as the still is being emptied.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2021 at 7:18 AM, Woukool said:

Hey TT, how big is your still?

We put the botanicals in bulk in both our 400L and 1600L stills each equiped with a mechanical stirrer. We empty the still by attaching a large mesh bag to the valve outside the still to catch the botanicals and avoid the mess. 

 

Hope this helps.

I'll be using a 53 gallon stall for a while and eventually a 125 gallon.  Only reason I'm hesitant to let the botanicals free in the still is that I have internal elements.  Eventually, I plan to move to a still with a steam jacket, but not for a while yet.

 

5 hours ago, glisade said:

We put ours in these bags: https://www.brewinabag.com/products/the-brew-bag-for-kettles-app?variant=32593577377852&gclid=Cj0KCQjw78yFBhCZARIsAOxgSx2W8UMGYifZEGJ4sUvRO35vpLShvpQ0IVunmjvWDDmAzkoEnWEfuzgaAqkGEALw_wcB

then pull them out after the run. They all typically float so it's not hard grabbing them as the still is being emptied.

I like the idea of this bag, but I'm worried about the material.  Maybe my worries are unfounded as ya'll aren't having problems.

On 5/29/2021 at 9:43 AM, Foreshot said:

You can try putting your botanicals in something like this: https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php#fermentationbucketkit

They will custom make something for you. If you have a small manway then that would be helpful.

Or you could strain it afterwards through something like this: https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/filtersstainlessbucket.php

You could probably get 1000 micron size. The rest of the solids would easily be accepted into the sewage system.

As long as you don't have a really large still these should get you by for a while.

This is kind of what I was thinking, but didn't know how to find it!  Thank you!

 

Thanks ya'll for the replies, I now have some good options to look into.

Cheers,

 

James

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...