What to do with spent mash?

dmcintosh

Greetings,

I've heard of craft distillers getting rid of their spent mash by giving it to farmers for feed, or fertilizer? Does anyone know how one would go about this? aside from posting an add on craigslist or some other forum. Also what about the measurable alcohol content left in the mash? I'm not a farmer, but I wonder about the effects of drunken hogs wondering the fields?

any insight would be most helpful! Thank you.

-Danny

Glacier Distilling Company.

Greetings,

I've heard of craft distillers getting rid of their spent mash by giving it to farmers for feed, or fertilizer? Does anyone know how one would go about this? aside from posting an add on craigslist or some other forum. Also what about the measurable alcohol content left in the mash? I'm not a farmer, but I wonder about the effects of drunken hogs wondering the fields?

any insight would be most helpful! Thank you.

-Danny

Glacier Distilling Company.

Talk to your local brewer. They should have a farmer for you. We use a local guy here in San Diego that sends grain from multiple breweries to one central farmer. Usually it is the cow farmers who want it.

You're pulling off almost all of the alcohol, so I wouldn't worry about drunken hogs. Ballast Point gave you a good idea, but you should be able to drive around your area and find a farmer that wants it.

We pump ours into stainless IBC, let it cool, and then pump it again to our farmers 1000 gallon plastic tank on the back of his truck. He pours it into a plastic tank in the field and they drink it up. It's funny to watch them drink it...and they love it. It's quite a lot of feed you are giving them. We are ramping up our production, so we are getting ready to buy a 1500 gallon stainless tank that we will leave outside....pump into and out of it. Should be easier than 4 stainless totes.

• 3 weeks later...

Jake,

How do you handle it?

Right now, I pump into 4 stainless IBC totes and then pump those into the farmer's plastic tank once it has cooled. As you can imagine, pumping this stuff twice is a major PITA. We are looking at a 1500 gallon milk tank that we will raise up on legs so that it's 6-7 feet off the ground. We'll pump into that and then let gravity feed it back into the farmer's tank. Should be easier, but I'm always looking for other alternatives. BTW, we distill on the grain, so there's a bunch of water for our farmer to take with him as well.

I auger the spent grain out the side of the building right next to my brew house into a hydrolic dumpster the farmer provided. Nightly he comes around in his big dump truck and loads up the spent grain and takes it to his livestock. I charge him nothing to take it- he charges nothing to take it away. Good arrangement.