Corrugated Boxes

FrEwing

Hello,

Pretty much any glass company or distributor you buy your bottles from can give you leads on cardboard companies, particularly if you need a custom size. The one piece of advice I have is to make sure that you are NOT buying Chinese cardboard. Chinese cardboard is both very flimsy and also be made of recycled materials that, when in contact with water, quickly develop molds and mushrooms. I had to re-package an entire vintage/varietal because there was black fuzz growing on my boxes due to the humidity of the warehouse. And the warehouse was not particularly humid, probably around 70%.

Robert

P.S. You're not related to Janine Garofalo, are you?!

Hello,

Pretty much any glass company or distributor you buy your bottles from can give you leads on cardboard companies, particularly if you need a custom size. The one piece of advice I have is to make sure that you are NOT buying Chinese cardboard. Chinese cardboard is both very flimsy and also be made of recycled materials that, when in contact with water, quickly develop molds and mushrooms. I had to re-package an entire vintage/varietal because there was black fuzz growing on my boxes due to the humidity of the warehouse. And the warehouse was not particularly humid, probably around 70%.

Robert

P.S. You're not related to Janine Garofalo, are you?!

Robert, Thanks for the comments and warning. As you suggest, I'll be speaking with the bottle folks. One ships in cartons so that's not a problem I am more concerned about when I purchase the non traditional shapes.

As for Chinese; I am very averse to purchasing anything Chinese other than from the local take out. Their manufacturing practices, materials, quality are shoddy and proven to be deceitful as well as causing harm in too many cases. When they change that, stop dumping and let their currency float to the international market, I may consider otherwise.

RE: "Janeanne", Yes, she's my cousin's daughter. I don't care for her politics nor do I understand her humor. My kids understand it.

Dick, you have probably already looked but there are several past threads on this subject. Each has some items of interest. My own highlight with first purchasing bottles in cartons: the cartons were good enough for wine/cork insert closure. But they were not correct height for bottles with T-Top closure. I did not take the time to talk it out with the supplier. Assume nothing is a given.

Also, I remember someone mentioning cartons are a competitive arena. A local supplier should be as economical, considering freight etc, as a distant one. Look at cost by the bottle, and you may realize you would be shopping and spending your time for a difference of 1 or 2 cents a bottle. I guess it depends on volume and how fancy you get.

Good luck.

Dick, you have probably already looked but there are several past threads on this subject. Each has some items of interest. My own highlight with first purchasing bottles in cartons: the cartons were good enough for wine/cork insert closure. But they were not correct height for bottles with T-Top closure. I did not take the time to talk it out with the supplier. Assume nothing is a given.

Also, I remember someone mentioning cartons are a competitive arena. A local supplier should be as economical, considering freight etc, as a distant one. Look at cost by the bottle, and you may realize you would be shopping and spending your time for a difference of 1 or 2 cents a bottle. I guess it depends on volume and how fancy you get.

Good luck.

Bob, you're a gem of a man. I do use T Top closures. Thanks for the heads up - Such a simple element of dimension and so easily overlooked. At this stage I'm not fancy. Just using 375Ml Bordo type and considering some different styles for future. I will look at the past threads and add to my knowledge base. Thanks again