Clarifying fruit infusion

Hi folks,

We were gifted a bunch of nectarines which we crushed and then infused with vodka.  We've been letting the infusion sit for a couple of weeks, but the super-fine pulp has only dropped to about the midpoint of the 6-gallon carboys and doesn't seem to be dropping any further.  Someone said "Pectic Enzyme" would clear this out and settle it all to the bottom.  Does anyone else have experience with getting fruit infusions to clear?

JP

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2021 at 11:06 AM, Alex_Sor said:

you need to read about "palenque"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pálinka

We're not fermenting the nectarines - per the OP, we're adding already high-proof distilled spirits to the crushed fruit to extract the flavor.  Now trying to get all the fruit micro-floaties out of it.  I've made wine (at home) before, and clarified it with chitosan that came in a kit.  I'd rather not use that (because, ew!), but want something that will drop all the particulates out of the solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this issue. I tried to fix it with pectic enzyme and it didn't work. I suspect the high alcohol content denatured the enzymes. I think that next time adding the pectic enzyme to the fruit, allowing it to work, then adding the depectinized fruit to the alcohol would be the way to go but I haven't tried it yet. You can also give the bag filters at TCW equipment a try - I have had a good experience with them filtering out other high-solids spirits.