Molasses spec sheet interpretation and rum goal analysis questions

needmorstuff

Hi All,

I recently read the distillers guide to rum and have been researching for quite sometime.. I have fermented and distilled molasses before, few years back mind you.

I want to enter the category next year from a commercial, albeit modest perspective.

If possible (and my trials will dictate this) I wish to minimise time in the barrel, and hopefully eliminate any barrel time for my white rum.

I want a light flavour profile RUM that is easy drinking, suitable for new rum drinkers and those that would lean toward a flavoured rum, be that spiced or flavoured such as banana or mango etc.

Equally, for what I would consider the "rum drinkers rum" I want the amber coloured (none flavoured) rum to stand on it's own right as a sipping rum or as a base for a cocktail.

I anticipate using 2 regimes, 1 for the white rum, and 1 for everything else - with the second having a stronger flavour profile (how I get there is under investigation)

I will use a 4 plated still

No dunder will be used

The addition of wash to low wines seems a suitable starting place, at what ratio is dependent on the final goal.

I plan on releasing the following products:

Parent Regime 1

• a white rum straight off the still with no barrel contact

Parent Regime 2 (product differences dictated by barrel time, wash to low wine ratio, fermentation regime, caramel addition, flavour addition, distilling regime)

• an amber coloured rum that will be aged, barrel time 6 months to whenever..
  • an amber coloured spiced rum with some barrel contact, hopefully 2 to 4 months, colour and taste adjust with cane caramel (home made seems easy enough)
  • a dark spiced rum with some barrel contact, hopefully 2 to 4 months, taste adjusted with and darkened with cane caramel (home made seems easy enough) (of course this will be a darker caramel than used for the amber)
  • an amber coloured rum with some barrel contact, hopefully 2 to 4 months - of some other flavour - be that banana, mango - whatever..

To achieve this I anticipate using a food grade molasses (spec sheet attached) with DistilaMax SR and DistilaVite GN, as suggested by Lallemand themselves.

Am I crazy? 

Can white rum come straight off the still and be enjoyable without spending time on oak?

Is 2 to 4 months enough in a barrel for a light flavour profile rum? - depends I know but in theory is it possible? I don't mind applying some science such as (but not limited to) - heat and humidity control and/or ultrasonic protocols.

Is the addition of cane caramel widespread and not frowned upon by consumers?

Is the molasses in the spec sheet attached of a good enough quality?

TM03 v16 - Cane Molasses.pdf

• needmorstuff changed the title to Molasses spec sheet interpretation and rum goal analysis questions

I think the white rum can work. I am also new to rum, but I am positive about your ideas.

With regards to ageing your rum for a limited time, this can also work. You can also consider using oak chips.

The molassa is fine,  I will consider introducing a lower grade molasses and some dunder to enhance the flavour.