New Vodka Distillery. Lots of Questions.

Charles Brungardt

We are a new vodka distillery just starting out. I'm trying to find out everything that we need to function and so we don't get dinged by the TTB and TABC.

Is there a comprehensive list of everything we need anywhere? Or do I just have to go through all the laws and regulations to find that out?

I know I need a hydrometer and a thermometer that is NIST certified or have a one point calibration. People also say its a good idea to have workhorse sets and just use the certified ones as references. How do you keep a log for the records? Do you just have a notebook and write down the numbers or is there certain requirements?

Some people also say there needs to be a lab, and some people send there stuff out to consultants. What are some consultants for that?

Is there anything else that's really important that I need to know?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi @Brungardtwelcome to the forums.

As you are probably finding there are a multitude of regulations in the industry and the answers are not definitive or clear.

Hydrometers are essential for gauging and an anton paar handheld density meter will make day to day work easier.

I work in Texas myself, where are you located at?

Cheers,

--KB

Hey @captnKB,

Yeah you're not kidding. There is a bunch of regulations. I guess it just takes time and practice to get a system going and to get it down. Too bad there isn't a easy guide.

I saw the one you're talking about. The Snap 41 and 51. Is that just for quick checks? From what I've found, it isn't TTB approved. 

We are in Plano. What about you?

Thanks,

CB

You are correct in that the Anton Paar Snaps are not TTB approved, but they will save you a ton of money on labor. The snap 41 works well enough for quick readings for nearly all distillery work except for final proof and gauging for packaging. 

Im out west of Fort Worth. If yall need some guidance drop me a line and I could come out and set yall up with operating procedures to get your moving with confidence. Distillerynow@gmail.com

Cheers,

--Kris 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 12:45 PM, captnKB said:

You are correct in that the Anton Paar Snaps are not TTB approved, but they will save you a ton of money on labor. The snap 41 works well enough for quick readings for nearly all distillery work except for final proof and gauging for packaging. 

Im out west of Fort Worth. If yall need some guidance drop me a line and I could come out and set yall up with operating procedures to get your moving with confidence. Distillerynow@gmail.com

Cheers,

--Kris 

That would be awesome KB. I just might do that.

Thank you!

CB

• 3 months later...

Good Morning Brungardt - Our specialty is the Bottling arena. Please reach out and ask any questions that you would like. We started Cru Bottling Systems in 2017 specifically to help new small and medium sized distilleries (and wineries) set up their Bottling in the smartest, most efficient and definitely the most cost effective way possible. All of our Bottling equipment is very easy to own and operate.

All of our equipment is made either in the US or Italy - Nothing from China. We also keep most all of our items in stock. Please check us out at crusystems.com for pricing and videos or reach out to me through direct message or at steve@crusystems.com

We'd be happy to help get your Bottling up and running.

Thank you Brungardt!

-Steve

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2022 at 6:30 AM, VictorL659 said:

I was just watching whisky tribe on youtube talk about starting a distillery, and it's fascinating to hear from folks that are a quarter million dollars in debt and have yet to make any spirits.

It is not unusual for a new distillery to take twice as long to get going and with three times the amount of money originally thought, or I heard it all the time from my customers.

There are so many details that new entrants do not consider before jumping in headfirst.  Compliance is a huge one.  As noted above, the snap can make your life easier for quick gauges of only alcohol and water, but cannot be used for final proofing or for obscured spirits(anything other than alcohol and water).  Many do not know this.  You still need to have certified hydrometers and thermometers for all of your final proofing, and really you should have 2 of each hydrometer because, trust me, they break.  For obscured spirits, you need a lab still as well.

I have helped a number of new distilleries with their compliance and all the little things that you should know that turn into big things like reports, records, proofing, etc.  If anyone needs any help, guidance, has compliance questions, etc just send me an PM here.  

• Thumbs up 1