Bottling brandy

D Jamison

I made a apple Brandy out of cider from a local cider Mill no sugar added. I used a column still but like a pot still no plates did a stripping run and a final run product ran average at 158 proof barrel it in a used Bourbon barrel 15 gallons for one year. At 125 proof. My question is when bottling do people normally sweeten their brandies and what proof would you consider bottling for popular taste people seem to like sweet brandies mine is more like a bourbon or American whiskey? Thank you looking forward to some insight.

The best way to see what people like is to run a small scale trial. I typically will generate 6-10 options for a tasting based off of a recipe, then have some fun doing a blind tasting with friends or members of your local community.

Print out some score cards and let people tell you which one was their favorite.

I’m not sure on legality of intentionally back sweetening and if it has consequences on standards of identity. What about a barrel finish?  What type of char and toast on that barrel and how long was it used for before? Yeast strain? Fermentation method and kpis? Apple varietal? 

• 1 year later...

It's an odd dichotomy that is based largely off price. Consumers seem to expect cheaper brandy to be sweet like a Christian Brothers VS or Korbel. But then they seem to expect "purity of spirit" on the higher end.

As far as legality, I believe only a certain percentage can be back sweetened. You may want to check the TTB's Chapter 4 for detailed limitations on brandy categories.

Per BAM chapter 7, which is outdated and shouldn't really be referenced anymore, you can add up to 2.5% by mass of Harmless Coloring, Flavoring and Blending materials.  You should apply for a formula if availing yourself of this allowance.  Some producers will use a sweet wine for this purpose while others might use sugar or a syrup.  Either way, if it tastes even the slightest bit sweet, you will likely end up with an "obscured" product that requires bench distillation for proofing.  Best of luck!