Process of getting a DSP...where to start?

Ish200

Ok, so here is my over arching question: Should you start "top down" applying for Federal DSP through TTB first then go to state and local? Or should you start at the bottom, start local then go up to state and federal?

The reason I ask is: I have reached out to the TTB to discuss the location I would like to apply for DSP and they have said it would be a "case by case basis" for approval. I am looking to use a barn structure on a farm property... So my thought is submit the application to the TTB and get a true evaluation of the feasibility of the space being approved for a DSP then go through the local and state stuff that would likely cost more money.  By starting "top down" I could get a go/no-go decision on this specific space without a significant monetary investment which would allow me to pivot if the TTB says we can't use this space.

Is there something that I am missing?

Thanks for your thoughts and insight!!!

Hire an architect, who has worked with distilleries, to come up with a set of plans to submit to your county/city to get their buy-in. You could just try and go chat with them without the plans in hand but there is a risk if you come off not having a solid vision and understanding of local building and fire codes. Once you get their buy-in you need to start the application process with TTB (you need your plans here) and get a building permit/lease, etc. You will also need to apply to your state ABC for your license - this normally involves an onsite inspection so you might hold off until your construction is nearly done.  There is no top to bottom, bottom to top. It all happens at the same time.

Good luck.

If you are unsure of whether or not a space would work well for a distillery it is often a good idea to reach out to a consultant who can give you an evaluation of the space before you spend too much time on it.

Lots of different spaces can be converted into a distillery, the real question is how much money do you have available to do so. A quick assessment can save you a lot of headaches down the road.

If the space works, then be sure to come up with a nice design from someone who has designed them before as @Golden Beaver Distillery said. Working with just any architect will cause a lot of problems especially if they have no idea where to put the equipment and whatnot.

Like Golden Beaver has said, you need to get local buy in before you worry about TTB.  There are many posts on this forum with the term AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction).  Search on AHJ and read all the posts.  This will help to prepare you for what comes next.  If your AHJ don't want a distillery where you want to put it, its not likely to happen.  On the other hand, if they are welcoming to you than the next step is the architect that @Golden Beaver Distillery wrote about.

I was in a similar situation and tackled it bottom up. I also use a small barn on my residential property. Received my local zoning approval, then simultaneously applied for PLCB and TTB licensing. I received my TTB permit in all of 12 days and PLB in 4 days!

• Thumbs up 1

21 hours ago, Pour Decisions said:

I was in a similar situation and tackled it bottom up. I also use a small barn on my residential property. Received my local zoning approval, then simultaneously applied for PLCB and TTB licensing. I received my TTB permit in all of 12 days and PLB in 4 days!

this is about what I am planning as well but I am building a new structure. Any lessons learned or words of advice?