permit questions

chaucer

is the permit process different for bottling and selling than it is for distilling, bottling, then selling. i am curious because i'm considering starting off with some products that won't require distillation. any advice will be much appreciated.

is the permit process different for bottling and selling than it is for distilling, bottling, then selling. i am curious because i'm considering starting off with some products that won't require distillation. any advice will be much appreciated.

Hi Chaucer

My sense is you will have to go through much of the same process. You will still need the basic permit and I think the DSP (Distilled Spirits Permit) permit. You may not be distilling but if I remember even if you are buying and rectifying DS you come under the same Codes. The only difference would be you won't be registering any stills. You will still be bonded and as such would come under that permit. Essentially if you have distilled spirits on your premise you will have to get a DSP.

I haven't looked at the Code in a while but that's my sense.

Nick

At the federal level, not really. You will be required to get a basic permit and file for registration of a distilled spirits plant whether or not you are actually distilling. When you file the registration, you will check off the operations to be conducted at your facility - the options are: Distiller, warehouseman, processor. If it is going to be a while before you start distillling, you would just file as a processor and probably warehouser - you can amend the registration later. But if you plan to start distilling soon and already own the still, you may want to apply for all three.

At the state level, it really depends on which state you are in.

Hope that helps.