ISO Centrifuge for Dewatering Stillage Grain

JBill

Looking for a used centrifuge for dewatering stillage grain. We want to dry the grain to store it for later use as animal feed. Please let me know if you have one or have a resource for locating a used one in good shape. Looking for 2-3 hp to process 1000L per hour.

Thank you. 

• JBill changed the title to ISO Centrifuge for Dewatering Stillage Grain

JBill,

I do not have a unit for sale, but I am currently experience some very disappointing results/customer service from my russel finex dewatering unit.  Mostly revolves around the sleeves.  My experience might be unique, others on here have sworn by them, but I if I had to do it over again I would go in another direction.  

Adam

Do you have additional drying equipment? Most of the centrifuge dewatering options won't dry it nearly enough for extended storage. I have a Kason centri-sifter I might be interested in selling that I am confident would handle your 1000L per hour, but it wouldn't be dry by any means. https://www.kason.com/products-and-solutions/sifting-and-screening/centri-sifter-centrifugal-sifters-and-separators/

We are very happy with our Kason.

1000l in 15-20 minutes.

You will likely need a heat-source dryer if you want to store the stillage long term.  You’ll need to dewater prior to dying.

Kason can handle the heat of boiling stillage, so you’ll be able to conserve a lot of energy immediately going into a dryer.

Would be interesting to see if you could use vacuum to dry the hot moist grains coming out of the separator post distillation.

Would be far safer than gas-fired drum dryers usually used, which are the single most dangerous pieces of equipment in large distilleries.

Separation immediately post distillation will carry along enough residual heat that high vacuum likely wouldn’t be required. 10-15 inches vacuum would be more than sufficient.

On 6/3/2022 at 11:48 AM, Red Pine said:

Do you have additional drying equipment? Most of the centrifuge dewatering options won't dry it nearly enough for extended storage. I have a Kason centri-sifter I might be interested in selling that I am confident would handle your 1000L per hour, but it wouldn't be dry by any means. https://www.kason.com/products-and-solutions/sifting-and-screening/centri-sifter-centrifugal-sifters-and-separators/

Thank you. We will air-dry after dewatering. Our first concern is safety as feeding directly from the 1000L IBC tote is unwieldy and requires two people. Dewatered grain is much easier to handle even at 50% DM. Long term storage is the final goal but an efficeint method to initally dewater is the first step. Currently, we are doing everything manually by dumping onto filter fabric to dewater then laying the grain out to dry. It takes days to get to an acceptable dryness to handle. Would be interested in the Kason centri-sifter. They seem to have focused on this process. 

• 6 months later...

Pig farmers. You need to find pig farmers. Find one within 40 miles of you call them and tell them you want to give them free fermented and distilled grain slurry for slop. If they’re within forty miles they’re 99% likely breaking even or saving money consider gas. Then buy yourself a 6k gallon tank and sell your dewatering equipment 

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on your volume you can store your spent grain like they do with silage (on the ground in piles) covered with tarps. The outer layer will become skunky however the inner will remain viable, plus the decomposition will add beneficial flora to the feed stock. As you know the longer it is stored the less nutrition it has, and it is not nutritionally complete to begin with. I want to say there is a research paper that was published by a university in Tennessee, I can not find it now. I will look for it and post a link here if I can find it.

What works for us is we put our spent grain in 1000L totes and have local guys pick it up for free. They pick it up and wash out the totes before they bring them back to pick you the next one. Our only effort is loading it onto their truck, it is a good system for us. (we found it too expensive to de water and dry the feed to a stable moisture content)

cheers

Workpress