Bourbon Double Distill Setup - Additional Doubler Necessary?

Old385

10 years distilling using a two pot still double distillation setup. Beer and finish still both equipped with a thumper (technically - vapor not spirit feed). No operational or flavor issues but my finish still is failing and I am planning to replace it. Question is specific to the need to have a thumper in the new setup or is it overkill since the second still is acting as a doubler? Case of always done it but not sure if it is required. Appreciate input. Spirits are bourbon and rye whiskey.

The thumper is typically used a means to increase the ABV of your spirit, but can also be used to impart some extra flavor if you are using it to put dunder or low/high wines in like for a rum.

I guess my question would be how do you "use" your thumper? If it is just to pass the spirit through you probably could get a new piece of equipment that doesn't have one. If though you do put additions into the thumper to modify your finished products flavor profile, it might be worth it to get one on your new equipment to maintain the flavor of your currently produced spirits.

Also if you need any help with sourcing that new equipment, let me know.

13 hours ago, Old385 said:

10 years distilling using a two pot still double distillation setup. Beer and finish still both equipped with a thumper (technically - vapor not spirit feed). No operational or flavor issues but my finish still is failing and I am planning to replace it. Question is specific to the need to have a thumper in the new setup or is it overkill since the second still is acting as a doubler? Case of always done it but not sure if it is required. Appreciate input. Spirits are bourbon and rye whiskey.

I would love to talk to you about this over the phone.  Give me a call at 417-778-6908 and we can go over options.  You can also email me if you like paul@distillery-equipment.com