Bonding SOP or pictures and practices please

jocko

Hello!  We are going to start electrical work for the distillery space soon, and I want to make sure I have bonding points at the right spots.  I've read as many posts as I could find on it here, but there's not a lot of specifics.

I am thinking of having a metal rod along the walls in the distillery production space, and then clamp to every vessel (the still, fermenters -- eeven though it seems silly I hear that some places demand it, etc.) and then have some bolts welded to bonded equipment near where pumps will be used. I can just clip to a bonded piece of equipment.

What about in barrel storage area (where I will likely be doing bottling, etc) as well. 

Do people bond each vessel, every device every time?  Like, a storage contain than you might raise with a forklift to gravity fill low wines into the still?  Or the ExpresFill machine?  When is plugging something into a grounded outlet enough?  

I've been to quite a few distilleries at this point, and cannot ever recall much bonding.  Curious if someone might share an SOP around bonding that is used to train new staff?  

This is really a question for you local building department.  They have the final say as to what is okay and what isn't.  This is a very good article on the OSHA and NFPA requirement.  https://www.grainger.com/know-how/safety/emergency-response/fire-protection/kh-safety-bonding-grounding-255-qt

Do you have an Architect doing your design?  If so, it is his job to guide you.  The problem you have with zero input is a change in AHJ.  You would likely not be grandfather in for any code violations.  Either a Master Electrician or Architect should be able to lead you down the correct path. Bonding and Grounding are not an option, this is National Code.

I'm not debating the value of grounding. I'm asking for real world feedback on what's going to be the most helpful bonding access points, and if anyone has an SOP that they train new distillery staff with.

DISCUSS, which is quite high level, "All piping and tanks used for the storage or processing of flammable liquids should be properly bonded and grounded in accordance with NFPA 77, Recommended Practice on Static Electricity."  Piping and tanks are relatively easy.  Storage, transfer, proceessing, etc., becomes quite a different thing. Based on tight space requirements, you could end up using whatever available spaces exist for whatever task needs to be completed at a given time.

So, wondering what people are doing, what they wish they would have done when they had a blank slate and things are relatively cheap and easy to do.  And, whatever SOPs they have that are specific to mitigating ignition risks from static in your daily tasks.  

In a perfect world?  Money is no object?

Copper bus bar throughout areas where you will store or process spirits.  Permanent bonding of stationary tanks, pumps, scales, and tubing.   At intervals, attach clamp-style coiled wires: https://www.grainger.com/product/9WN83  Use these clamps on drums, totes, barrels, and portable pumps, bottle fillers/lines, etc.  What I've just described can easily be thousands of dollars of hardware...