Clean way to drain or move fluid around?

Hi all, this seems like the most elementary question, but I'm so frustrated I must be doing something wrong.

Every time I pump anything anywhere I make a mess. It's all well and good getting the pump going, but when it comes to disconnecting the pump I will spill wash all over the ground. I mostly do rum, so it's a real pain to clean. I have tried flushing the host with water so at least I'm only spilling water, but it's still a laborious task and always requires a bunch of mopping - hurting my productivity.

I fantasize about a pump that sits above your head, sucks from one vessel and moves it into another vessels, or in the case of a drain I cant let it gravity feed where I am because the drain starts about 15cm above the ground. So I need a pump that can clean the line otherwise I'm making a mess.

What's the right equipment here? My still is too large and not a single unit so I cant wheel it over to the drain. I'm quite happy to install "permanent hoses" or pipes but again what is the right pump, especially for draining?

Use two valves back to back on your hose connection.  Close both valves before you break the tank connection.  Walk the hose over to the drain and open the valve to drain.  Depending on how high your pump is off the ground, you may need to do this on both sides of the pump.

The most you'll spill in this scenario is the liquid between the two valves - half cup, quarter cup or so.  You can still flush with water to drain the hoses of wash.

Some pumps are less problematic.  For example, lobe pumps will generally pump air through the lines, and force air into the receiving tank, emptying the hose/pipe.  Centrifugal pumps won't do this, and the hose/pipe after the pump will nearly always be full of liquid.

• Thumbs up 1

Other option would be to put a 3 way valve in front and run a hose to your drain off of one of those.  When done pumping and pushing water, open to the drain...might still get a little mess here and there, if you don't have floor drains, a hotel pan underneath the pump input/output can take care of the small amount of liquid left.

You said mop, but you have floor drains right? Sloped floors to trench is best obviously, if you have flat floors with no slope look at an epoxy finish, they can add some slope to help bring things to the drain. 

Valves on hoses helps, if you are far from a floor drain or in a tight space, then you can move the hose to where you have a drain. Depending on the pump, you could flush with water, and draw back air to the water bucket, or push co2, nitrogen or compressed air to move the water or product out. 

Ultimately though this job is like 50% to 80% cleaning, my guy Nick always says "I spend the morning making a mess and the afternoon cleaning it up". If your space isn't setup for being hosed down and wet all the time you really need to start there. 

Thanks everyone, yeah I don't have any valves on my hoses. I've been using camlocks as my connection method, but they don't seem to have any obvious valve setup (I'll go talk to my pump place) but what connectors are you using?

Re in floor drainage - I'm just renting the premises at the moment so can't start ripping up the floors, so mopping for now!