What the difference between Scotch Whiskey and Canada Whiskey

Matt Victor

I have it on very good authority that the only real difference between Scotch Whiskey and Canada Whiskey is that Scotch has a silent and invisible e, and Canadian has an invisible yet silent e.  

fyi this authority is covered in fur and currently chasing a bug.

The only Canadian whisky I've ever had was made from rye and it has a nice spicy finish you don't find in scotch, but I imagine there's a lot of overlap. One thing I have noticed is that the hangover from scotch is more high pitched than the hangover from rye (think buzzing headache versus pounding headache).

That's why I stick to vodka. I have yet to find one that can give me a hangover and God knows I deserve one.

In Canada 'Rye' and 'Whisky' mean the same thing. And therefore, most commercial 'Ryes' are actually mostly corn with a little rye wheat added - although, not in all cases. So, if you want a Rye made with actual rye wheat - you will need to look for that designation on the bottle. Generally, it's the smaller craft distillers that will use a larger percentage (up to 100%) of actual rye wheat. Of course this makes sense as rye is a low yield producer and hard to work with so it's not that appealing to the bigger players but a great niche market for the little guys.