Belt Driven Impeller Pump - Issues?

We have been running our distillery successfully using a EURO50 2" 2.5hp direct drive Impeller pump to pump our mash around for years now. We have an electrical issue which I was unable to troubleshoot and the supplier is of no help, so off to a motor company which is backlogged for weeks. To keep the place running with a minimal spend, we are looking to pick up a EURO50 belt driven impeller pump for a fraction of the cost of the direct drive. However, since I never see any other distilleries using belt drive pumps and they are cheap, I was wondering if there is a drawback that I don't know about other than maybe a small decrease in power. Anyone out there able to provide some insight?

You don't see much belt-driven stuff nowadays. It doesn't make sense now that electronic speed control/power tranmission is so inexpensive and ubiquitous, and direct drive is so much more reliable.

If the pump is cheap, I doubt the belt is the main factor driving the cost down. It'd likely be just as cheap to directly couple the motor to the head. It's probably just a cheaply-made pump.