Business Plan Roadmap

PappyO

I'm in the very early stages of developing a business plan for a distillery. I hope to open in the next 2-3 years (still need to maintain my day job). It's overwhelming to figure out where to start. So when I run into problems like that, I like to map it out. 

Below is my business plan map. 

image.thumb.png.0e1d5f3280505bb9088c5ae64b15ef95.png

For reference if you're not familiar with process maps:

• Oval = Start/Finish of process
  • Dimond = Decision Point
  • Rectangle = Sub Process / Activity
  • Rhombus = Data Collection 

This was born out of a bit a internet research on here and other spots. Seems like the biggest initial hurdle is navigating local zoning requirements. Maybe I'm wrong about that. 

Happy to get to get any feedback on this, good, bad, or sideways. Am I on the right path? What am I missing? What should I not waste my time on?

Nicely put together. With this level of detail put into this early phase I'm sure you will have no problem making a go of it.

Without knowing anything about your location, it seems that local zoning tends to be the biggest hurdle. Some local issues tend to be meeting fire code if your local authorities having jurisdiction require it, having accessible utilities applicable to meet your needs, and waste water and grain disposal. I'd keep a firm eye on those as you look at potential locations. 

Also, Do you have an idea of size of production? This will also dictate your needs for the above mentioned items, as well as help determine your ROI to keep the business afloat. 

Looks pretty good, I would tie "production capabilities" into your "equipment selection" part of the equation.

Too many places do not take this into account and end up wasting a bunch of money shortly after opening because they run out of capability on their space.

2 hours ago, Pour Decisions said:

Nicely put together. With this level of detail put into this early phase I'm sure you will have no problem making a go of it.

Without knowing anything about your location, it seems that local zoning tends to be the biggest hurdle. Some local issues tend to be meeting fire code if your local authorities having jurisdiction require it, having accessible utilities applicable to meet your needs, and waste water and grain disposal. I'd keep a firm eye on those as you look at potential locations. 

Also, Do you have an idea of size of production? This will also dictate your needs for the above mentioned items, as well as help determine your ROI to keep the business afloat. 

Thanks! 

I'm just going off of what's I've read in various posts here regarding local regs, and my own experience setting up manufacturing facilities. I'm not accustomed to looking out for speicalized water utilities (both fresh and waste), so thanks for that! 

The road map isn't completed in a straight line (although it appears that way). Type of product / production size / market etc will obviously dictate what type of equipment I'm buying, and if can be installed into a facility. So a give and take.  I'm figuring the best approach is to cast a wide net as far as equipment is concerned, which will likely force me to cast a wide net (as much as possible) with the location. I'll open myself up to a lot of scenrios and then narrow it down.  I also plan on participating in zoning board meetings in my town to get to know the local players and how to navigate the system.