Closeness to Electrical box

Velten

G'day,

in the process of getting a 1000 L steam Alembic still that I want to place in front of this electrical box.

Where the green CO2 cylinders are is a big roller door gate that is open. Planned placement, condenser would be close to the Fire extinguisher. To the right of Electrical box would be the still with a retort in the middle.

Can I leave my electrical box where is or better reassemble on the outside wall? Plan is to have fans to keep the airflow moving to the outside of the building.

This setup will be in Zambia. Want to keep it safe.

Thanks

Velten

20221213_102132_resized.jpeg

Hello Velten and Welcome,

The short answer is, you will have to move the box.  This article should be very informative.  Although it is based on US codes, it is likely that Zambia's are similar.  The only one who can decide for certain is your local fire marshall.

https://proof33.com/everything-distillers-need-to-know-about-explosion-proofing-and-the-electric-sombrero-of-death/#:~:text=What Is the Sombrero of,codes as well as OSHA.

7 hours ago, Thatch said:

Hello Velten and Welcome,

The short answer is, you will have to move the box.  This article should be very informative.  Although it is based on US codes, it is likely that Zambia's are similar.  The only one who can decide for certain is your local fire marshall.

https://proof33.com/everything-distillers-need-to-know-about-explosion-proofing-and-the-electric-sombrero-of-death/#:~:text=What Is the Sombrero of,codes as well as OSHA.

Unless I read this totally wrong. This setup will be in Zambia not sure that they give two cents about OSHA or any other American code.  Basically its going to be up to whoever their local authority is and the comfort level of the person operation the equipment 

56 minutes ago, whiskeytango said:

This setup will be in Zambia not sure that they give two cents about OSHA or any other American code.

8 hours ago, Thatch said:

Although it is based on US codes, it is likely that Zambia's are similar.  The only one who can decide for certain is your local fire marshall.

• Thumbs up 1

11 hours ago, whiskeytango said:

Unless I read this totally wrong. This setup will be in Zambia not sure that they give two cents about OSHA or any other American code.  Basically its going to be up to whoever their local authority is and the comfort level of the person operation the equipment 

True we have to be comfortable, being new to distilling bigger quantities, and already spent enough money on building the shed with Brewhouse I want to be safe and compliant to an industry standard. Sombrero of death makes sense and I don't want to make the headlines for the wrong reasons. We will have to move it to the outside wall and protect from the rains. Thanks all for your inputs very much appreciated.

• Thumbs up 1

Ha I wish, outside is a compressor, a big Generator for when we have power outages and a building. In theory I should be putting up another shed, but funds are a bit low for this at the moment. Our weather is great but when it rains it rains!